Tuesday, February 3, 2009


"HAPPY GROUND HOG DAY"
(BACK WITH A VENGEANCE)


Groundhog Day is an annual holiday celebrated on Feburary 2 in the United States and Canada on which folklore tells if a ground hog emerges from its burrow and fails to see its shadow because the weather is cloudy, winter will soon end. If on the other hand, it is sunny and the groundhog sees its shadow, the groundhog will supposedly retreat into its burrow, and winter will continue for six more weeks.

Modern customs of the holiday involve celebrations where early morning festivals are held to watch the groundhog emerging from its burrow. Social events in which food is served, speeches are made. German is the offical language spoken at the event, and those who speak English pay a penalty, usually in the form of a nickel, dime or quarter, per word spoken, put into a bowl in the center of the table

The largest Groundhog Day celebration is held in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania where crowds as high as 40,000 have gathered to celebrate the holiday since at least 1886.


Now a lot of people people have seen or heard of the absolutly hilarious movie called "Groundhog Day". After a long day of work I come home to my sweet wife who has an exciting Family Home Evening activity planned for us.

We watched the movie to the left and made the cutest little groundhogs out of cupcakes, marshmallows, mini nilla wafers and of course chocolate frosting. Haley is just cute like that.



-Here are some of the ingredients-

-Final result (Haley is gonna be a great mom)-



-These are my new holsters that Wayne has been teaching me to make. I have to wrap my pistols in plastic so as the wet leather molds to the guns that don't rust (Haley bakes cake and I make gun holsters, we have such a symbiotic relationship)-


-And of course both my angels, and Haley brandishing her new toy (Diabetic thinga magiger) she is sure growing, just 2 months away-



6 comments:

Vanessa said...

woah..back up. does haley have gestational diabetes? nice and very very cute f.h.e. project. she is going to be a FABULOUS mom- so creative! nice gun holsters, looking good. so glad you both have your strengths! :) we miss you guys a ton!

Mark & Rachel said...

Haley will be a fabulous mom!! Whats with the gestational diabetes?!

Alison and Troy said...

OH Haley is so cute! I remember groundhog day last year at my house... good times :)

Nathan and Rebekah Mains said...

Matt & Haley,
I loved reading your blog. It was great to see how you are both doing. Haley- your belly is getting SO big- you have changed a lot since I last saw you. I am just so happy for you and Matt. What an exciting time in your life- it is great to see how much fun you are having together. And by the way- I love the little groundhogs that you made- so so so cute! I love you guys and I cannot wait to see you both. Love you- love bekah

Madi said...

Haley! You're getting so big! (But in a good way, of course!) I'm so glad to see you and matt so happy, it's exciting to see your house!! Love you!

Chantell Hammond said...

Haley!!! You look so cute! I wish I were still cute enough to allow pictures to be taken. 4 more days! (and then another 4-6 weeks to allow swelling to go down) and then you can see pictures of me again. Good luck with the diabetes! It'll go away after the pregnancy right?