Friday, June 26, 2009

Father's Day(s)

So as you all read, we spent the last weekend in Utah at Griffin and Ashland's wedding. And it was fabulous. However, because we were flying and driving home Sunday, we missed Matt's first official Father's Day! :( Well, this would never do! So we had to celebrate twice as hard the next couple of days!

First of all, can I just say that Matt is the easiest person to throw a party for. He practically does it himself! You see, I had plans for this Father's Day...BIG plans. We had been talking about getting a decent sized pool for the last couple of days, and I was going to surprise Matt by buying the pool and having it all set up when he got home from work Monday. However, when I got home from San Antonio on Sunday, Matt called (he was still driving home from Austin) and told me to check the backyard, and...

Surprise! What a guy! He had bought his own present! But I had to do SOMETHING for him, so on Monday I decided to have a special breakfast for him. I was pretty proud of my heart-shaped sausages. :)
We also made a D-licious dinner, with fresh green beans and summer squash, baked potatoes, rolls, and of course, steak...which Matt marinated and cooked himself.

We ate picnic style in the family room and watched Confessions of A Shopaholic (I kid you not, this was Matt's personal choice from the entire Red Box menu...what have I created?!)

Then he opened cards and presents from me and Bennett. They were creative, since Father's Day was over and Wal-Mart had already moved on to the Fourth of July. I thought they still worked out pretty well though.

And that was that! Overall I say it was a pretty good Father's Day...even if it did drag out over three days.

Besides that, I started my last class at CTC this week and it is going to be a piece of cake, so no worries there. Bennett also got his first head cold, so we have had a ton of fun with Salene Drops and the blue-bugger-sucker. (I am sure this tool has an actual name, but I don't know what it could possibly be.) He was a pretty good sport about the whole thing though, and is pretty much over it now.

In fact, we even left him with his first official, non family member babysitter while Matt and I went on a very fun date night to dinner and the new Transformers movie Thursday night. It was SO fun, but I have to admit I had some seperation anxiety over the whole situation.




And in developmental news, Bennett has learned how to hold on to stuff, and I think he is either starting to teeth or turning into a Labradore. He is always drooling and chewing on stuff...and look at that tongue!

Matt went on his first campout with the scouts this weekend. They went waterskiing, and I hung out with the other "scout wives" and cried over Marley and Me.

And finally, our garden is doing great. We have flowers on all the plants, and the squash is growing like crazy. Matt is an excellent farmer.


1 comment:

Heather Jones said...

I am so jealous!! You have a pool. My parents use to have the same one but squishy(the dog from Hell) chewed a hole in it!