Thursday, September 17, 2009

Happy Ending to a Long and Winding Road

As I write this post I can hear the sound of the Hallelujah Chorus playing in my head because, ladies and gentlemen, IT IS OFFICIAL!! I have graduated (with honors) from Brigham Young University-Idaho with a Bachelors of Science Degree in Communications, emphasizing in Advertising, and with clusters in Graphic Design and Photography! Hooray!

The journey started September 2005. Since then I have had the opportunity to learn many new and exciting (and some not so exciting) things. I lived in my first apartment, sharing rooms and food with various crazy (literally, one was on 5 different types of medication) college girls. I have traveled to six different countries in Europe, gotten married, and moved to Texas. We found out Bennett was coming to our family, I moved back to Rexburg without Matt for a semester, and then moved back to Texas when that was over. We moved to a new town, I went to college there, and, finally, graduated this July! What a journey!

There were some times I thought it wasn't worth it, especially after Bennett was born. But thanks to the love and support of Matt, both my families, and some babysitters for Bennett, I pushed through. Thank you to them all, and especially Matt who made sure I got to class on time and Bennett was taken care of.

So now I have that wonderful piece of paper and the knowledge that if anything happened to Matt (he is in the Army) me and Bennett would be OK. It is also a great feeling just knowing that I started something and finished. And boy, I am SO happy to be D-O-N-E!!!

The opening of the Diploma and Official Transcript. This was like, better than going to DisneyLand for me.

When Matt Graduated in April 2008, my mom and dad got him a way cool frame to put his diploma in. When I walked the stage last December, they gave me a matching frame, which has remained empty until this moment. It looks a lot better now that there is actually something in it!

Our cute frames, hanging in the office. Matt's is on the left, then Matt's Commissioning is in the middle, and mine is on the right. What edu-ma-cated people we are!

And this is the reason for it all! I have always admired my mom and Matt's mom for getting their degrees, and now I hope I am setting a good example for Bennett and his future brothers and sisters. It is so worth it!

3 comments:

The Hazard Chronicles said...

Congratulations Haley- You deserve that diploma. I don't know anyone who has worked harder for it than you. We're proud of you.

Kylie said...

I am so proud of you! Good job. It's totally worth it.

Cambria said...

Congratulations!!!!