Sunday, September 6, 2009

SCOUT CAMP

All right so my dear sweet wife has done an excellent in keeping our blog up to date and our little family is just doing awesome. I thought that I would add a little something to this melody of memories by telling ya'll a little bit about what I have been doing with my scouts. (fyi...couldnt do any of it without Haley's 100% support.

So to start it off we had ourselves a scout camp last month and we went to a fantastic place called Enchanted Rock. Its actually pretty cool. It is the oldest rock in Texas somethin' like 2 billion yrs, give or take a million.


Kinda backwards but here we are at the end of the 6 mile loop around enchanted. Some of the boys thought I was trying to kill them. It was only like 103 degrees outside and Bro. Hargrave told them to pack more water than they thought they would need but hey good learning experience right!!!


Here is the begining of the Hike up the Rock. Everyone was in a little bit higher spirits. Funny note the scout in this picture at the far left is as tall as me but doesnt even weight a 100 lbs. He started dragging so much on the way back that we tied a rope around his waist and mine just in case he fell and rolled down the hill. After that everybody beat Bro. Hargrave down the mountain!!!


Of course everyone made it to the summit. I mean hey its not the Rockies but it sure is fun and the boys decided to play a little tag on the top of the Rock so the hike up wasn't that bad.


The boys called this room the satellite room (oh did I mention that on the back side of the Rock is a whole bunch of caves) There holding there hands up because they just got done breaking something like a hundred glow sticks all over the cave walls. (provided of course by the US Army) Thanks Prez.

And of course you cant go out in the woods with boy scouts without messing with animals. We found this little bat on the way out and of course it was giving birth and of course all the boys wanted to touch it. Having a little sympathy for it (after I took the picture) we headed on out and let her do her thing.


The boys did find, however and entire nest of bats on the rock near our camp and promptly at 1900 the bats would start heading out for there evening meals and it would take nearly a good hour for all the bats to leave there cave/crack in the rock....its was pretty neat to see some of the amazing creatures that God created for this world.

Over all we had us an awesome time...the boys are working well together and they are teaching me loads of patience. We could all do with a little more right. I know I need my fair share of it.
Till next time then!!!!!

1 comment:

Nathan and Rebekah Mains said...

Matt,
It looks like you had a great time on your Scout Trip! Being one who does not like the rough and tough, I am glad that you helped those boys achieve something great! I miss you guys! Have a wonderful day!

Love, bea