Sunday, February 28, 2010

There's No Day like a Snow Day!

Tuesday morning at 6:59, Matt called from work to tell me it was snowing outside. I jumped out of bed excited to see our backyard turned into a marshmallow world, but was disappointed when there were only a few stray flakes falling from the Texas sky. Grumpy at being woken up before my alarm (which goes off at 7:00), I went back inside and started my day.

A few hours later, Matt surprised us when he came home and announced that the Army, which is always looking for an excuse to get out of work, released everybody for the day on account of the snow. "What snow?" I thought. "This just proves that the Army really is full of sissies." But then I looked out the window, and...

SNOW! Lots of it! There was probably a good few inches on the ground, and it was that good, sticky, snowman kind of snow, too.

From then on any plans I had made for me and Bennett that day went right out the window. We declared it an official snow day in the Hargrave home. We turned up the heater and made chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast, which Bennett stuffed himself with shamelessly. Then we all got bundled up and went outside for a little winter fun. Matt made snowballs, I made a pathetic little snowman, and I guess Bennett was still hungry after his pancakes because he ate more than his fair share of the white stuff.

Later that afternoon we went over to our friends' house for lunch, and then we all walked back across the street and relaxed with a movie and hot chocolate and a fire in the fireplace at our house. All in all, it was a pretty great snow day.

There was even a little snow still left on the ground the next morning (although Matt had to go back to work), and it stuck around in the shadows for a few days after that. By the weekend though, it was a sunny 65-degrees, and we had a BBQ with the missionaries in our backyard. We really do enjoy living in this bipolar state.

Bennett helping to lick the spoon after making chocolate chip pancakes. Yum!

We loved the snow. This was not the first time Bennett had seen snow, but it was the first time he really got to play in it. It was pretty fun watching him discover this new thing in his ever-expanding world.

And this is the truly pathetic snowman I made. It had apricot eyes, a baby carrot nose, a tomato slice mouth, and fruit loop buttons (we had to make do with what we had in the house at the time). Bennett ate everything off the poor guy except the eyes, which the three squirrels who live in our backyard gladly ate later. It was a sad end to a sad snowman.



This is not a very exciting video, but it shows the snow off nicely. WE LOVE SNOW!!

1 comment:

Heather Jones said...

Haha! That is freakin' awesome. I was feeling jealous that it snowed and then I realized there is snow outside my window so then I was jealous your snow melted. Haley you are like the perfect mom! Making yummy pancakes and hotchocolate and making every special moment last. Pretty neat actually. It reminds me of your family: your dad making pancakes and your mom making hotchocolate, awwwe so cute! Haha!