Monday, March 22, 2010

Spring Break, Oklahoma Style

Yes, this last week was Spring Break, and what a fantastic break it was! Griffin and Ashland are still working on getting their home in Cleveland, Oklahoma ready to live in, so Jeff and Charlotte Sellers (Ashland's wonderfully generous parents) flew me and Matt and Bennett up there to be a part of the building crew.

Let me be more specific. They flew Matt up there to be a part of the building crew. They flew me and Bennett up to hang out and have fun visiting, and to eat delicious food. I have to say, sometimes it pays to have no skills in the construction area. :)

We left our home for the Austin airport on Thursday morning. One lost purse and a few hours later, we arrived in Tulsa, Oklahoma. (Don't worry about the purse, it should be arriving here FedEx style any time now. It was a little panicky when we realized I had left it, along with my cell phone, every form of ID, and all our financial information, under the seat of the plane. But we are OK now.) It was soooo much faster and way more fun than our last trip to Oklahoma, where, if you will recall, we had a near-death adventure that lasted almost 20 hours. I will take a lost purse over that any day. Thank you, Jeff and Charlotte!

When we got there, Charlotte picked us up, fed us lunch, and then drove us straight to the house to start working. This wasn't as vigorous a weekend as the previous one, but "Mighty Matt" was still able to help accomplish much good. The main project was laying tile in the bathrooms, laundry room, kitchen, and landing areas, before the carpet guys came on Monday. They got that done, along with fixing the roof, building a gate (I hammered the nails in on a few of the posts, so yes, I did help a little), and repairing the banister in the Sellers' house. Very productive.

We also had time to see the Sellers' ranch, where I learned about cow-care, and to play our new favorite game Rummikub. One of the best parts for me was getting to see Ashland's cute little tummy and thinking of names for the new little one. I have chosen to call the baby Phineas, or Finn. Aunt Haley has spoken. So be it.

All in all, it was a great weekend. Of course, Matt and I carry winter with us wherever we go, so by the time we left there was about a foot of snow on the ground where it was a sunny 75 the day before. Cursed, I tell you. At least we didn't have to drive in it.

Happy Spring!

Charlotte, Bennett, Ashland, and Finn.

Griffin and Matt fixing the once wobbly banister. I think it would take a small elephant to move that thing now.

Griffin, introducing Bennett to the joys of law.

The little sick cow on the ranch. They are hooking her up to a harness to help her stand here. It was a little sad to watch, but very interesting. I hope she will be OK.

That last picture was taken through the windshield, because I was in the car feeding this little goober-roo.

And now, for your enjoyment, here is a video of Griffin and Ashland's home in all of its semi-completed glory. They should be moving in sometime next week though, so that's exciting.



P.S- Because the title of my video is "Spring Break" I would be careful not click on any of the little video options from youtube at the bottom of the screen. Just thinking most of those are probably pretty inappropriate. :)

1 comment:

Cambria said...

Nice video! I must have missed the master bedroom or something, but very cool. ;-)