Wednesday, October 6, 2010

MOSUL, IRAQ

All right so I made it to Iraq and it is sure alot better than Kuwait but not by much. We have been busy since we landed here. The airfield is actually near our base and while we were landing we took some indirect fire. Lucky for us the insurgents have terrible aim. I look at is as "Welcome to our country fireworks". Anyway we are currently on what every one calls a super FOB (Forward Operating Base). I'll try to help you none military folks out. Anyway our houses that we live in are actually 20ft metal storage containers that have been turned into rooms. They have there own AC units which are nice but believe it or not the weather here is pretty tolerable. Right now high's of 98 and lows of 74. Not bad, even by Texas standards. We are currently closing everything we own down here on FOB Marez (where I'm staying) and are planning for a big push out to outlying checkpoints. I'm in charge of setting up and supplying 2 smaller FOB's, aid stations. Basically a place where there are medics with a DOC or PA that can do minor surgeries and prep for Air evac back to the main hospital here on Marez. Needless to say it takes alot of planning. We try to push or convoys out at night mostly for obvious reasons. One the Iraq's are pretty lazy people and they don't want to go to the trouble of blowing anybody up or placing IED's at night. Cuts into there midnight football programs on TV. And with all our wonderful technology (which Haley's Uncle Lee's company is making some cool stuff, and which I all ready got to play with a little bit) we own the night. Oh exciting news so we are sitting in the Aid Station during sick call. I got a John Wayne movie on "Green Berets" and all of sudden the whole building shakes followed by a tremendous boom!! We all quickly get low and lock and load all weapons. Me and my NCO head out for a quick recon to see what happened. Long story short a check point near us (gate entrance) a possible VBIED (vehicle born improvised explosive device) was controlled detonated by the Iraqi Army. I mean it was really nice of them to warn us before hand!! Yeah that got the old heart pumping. I really cant say much more and without freaking anybody out. (and yes I do tell Haley a little more, she is very aware of our situation here at all times) Regardless of what the news says we are still taking and giving rounds here. There are still IED's, RKG's, RPG's, Mortar, Small arms attacks taking place. Mostly geared toward the Iraqi Army but very often aimed at American troops as well. We try to fly as much as possible here to avoid such situations but we still have to run supplies the old fashion way by loading it on trucks and sending it to our boys on the front line. I really love this job. I know it sounds crazy but I dont worry about my safety, I dont worry about getting hurt. Maybe its something primal deep in side but I enjoy it. I dont know why but in those very specific instances when the world is ripping apart around you its like I get laser point focus and conduct my people like a director conducts and orchestra. Some of you out there now what I'm talking about. When it gets heavy it doesn't matter what your rank is or what your job is. Someone always emerges and takes charge and takes care of others. I do everything I possibly can to be safe and make sure my troops do as well and of course I always keep a prayer in my heart for my guys, myself and my family. I put it in the Lords hands. Best kind of body armor there is in my opinion. Anyway enough for now enjoy a few pictures. Love you all.





This is me and some of my medics. SSG Foster on the right is on his 3rd deployment and SGT Rossi on the right is on his 2nd. We are sporting the new and improved Combat Shirt. It allows more comfort and movement when wearing all your body armor. Did I mention its hot here!



This is just a bunch of us hanging around waiting to board a bus to the airfield to Iraq



And here we are on the bus. That is my Doc behind me. Great guy, stationed in Hawaii. Lucky dog!!!


By this point we had been up and moving since 0300 that morning this is us flying to Mosul and I believe it was about 2300. And yes its only an hour and half flight from Kuwait to Mosul so you can figure out how long we waited for.



All right here are the 3 Amigos. On the left is SFC Farmer he is my right hand man. I tell him what to do and he makes things happen. He is also my Senior Medic. In the middle of course is my DOC Maj Manson. Great guy, our goal is to make him very bored for the next year. And of course the man with the plan on the far right the one, the only, 1LT(P) Hargrave. Yeah I know I look good.


Here we are taking our "taxi" out to check out our soon to be home for the next year. We literally fly like a couple times a day. Its like when you want to get in your car to go the grocery store. We jump on a black hawk.


Flying over the city of Mosul. I believe this is the site of ancient Babylon or something famous like that.


Here is the infamous Euphrates river. About 5 mins from our compound.


Northern Iraq is actually pretty green with trees. Mosul is the foothills for the mountains that roll into Iran and turkey. Alexander the Great did a lot of fighting around here.


Here is us coming into FOB India. this will be our home. Its about the size of 2 football fields put together. Not very big. But yes those are Abram tanks lined up there!



I snapped this picture on one of our flights. the funky triangle thing is some rich dudes house/compound. There is alot of money in this country but a real separation of the classes intermingled throughout.


And of course couldn't leave out my PA, This is 1LT Lieato. He is getting promoted to CPT in this picture by the Battalion Commander, LTC Boston. He helps run or secondary FOB IMN. That will be me in a few more months pretty exciting.







1 comment:

The Hargrave Clan said...

Whew Baby! Lookin' Good! :)