Thursday, November 18, 2010

Lets talk about BOB!


-Bob Marley-

Now I need to tell you about my friend Bob. Yes he was a pot head and probably wouldn't pass a temple recommend interview but he has helped me through some of the roughest times of my life. Now the background fades and we go back to a time not to long ago. The place is Idaho, Summer of 200? (Ya'll dont need all the details).~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I was attending Brigham Young University Idaho and because of personal, bad, very bad choices I felt like my life was spinning out of control. You know when the coyote would chase the road runner and then run off a cliff and before he dropped like 3000ft. he would hold up a sign that said "ouch"! I felt that my life was a little worse than that. So I'm up at school pretty much lost (my record for not leaving the house is 26 days straight, not cool). So one of my absolute best friends says, "hey Matt come down to Salt Lake with me and spend the summer and we'll see what we can do." So I went. That is where I met Bob. Excuse me, let me back up I met my new Bishop. He was a retired Air Force Doctor, and a very enlightened man. So my dear friend gave the Bishop a little heads up about me. The first time I met the Bishop was when he pulled up to our house in a Cadillac Escalade which was attached the most beautiful Mastercraft boat I had ever seen. He came to the door and said, "all right guys grab your gear lets go." Being the astute young men we are we were so excited we forgot to lock the door and left. We must have skied, tubed, and kneeboarded until it felt like our limbs were permanently detached from our bodies. That is when I met Bob. Now you ski enthusiast will now that Mastercraft ski boats come with fantastic sound systems, including 12'' subs. (YES) Apparently the Bishop has a little hippie in him. Given I was always in a happy mood those days (no I wasn't) Bishop asked us our preference of music. We said we had none and he told us, "I'm going enlighten you and introduce to my friend Bob". It was all down hill from there. I would have interviews with the Bishop and we would talk about, you guessed it "Bob". We talked about his music, his life what the meaning was behind things, all things. He was able to reach me when no one else could. I want to share the song that I have probably listened to more times than is probably sane but here are the words and you might recognize the melody:


"Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.
Singin': "Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!"

Rise up this mornin',
Smiled with the risin' sun,
Three little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin' sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true,
Sayin', ("This is my message to you-ou-ou:")

Singin': "Don't worry 'bout a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right."
Singin': "Don't worry (don't worry) 'bout a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!"

Rise up this mornin',
Smiled with the risin' sun...


I mean you cant get more simple than that. Now coupled with the my daily scripture reading, but when I was out and having a "moment" we called it, I couldn't start reading my scriptures in rush hour traffic in Salt Lake City. Its like trying to sip a cappuccino out of one of those little cups while in a Nascar race. So I would pop Bob in and listen to the words and everything would be all right. All summer long the Bishop would come to our house in the morning and we would go water skiing early in the morning before work and listen to Bob. Those were great times. I cant forget my good friend. He knows who he is and knows I wouldn't be here if it weren't for him. It is very safe to say I owe my life to him. So why now? Why after all this time am I writing about this? Well I'm in Iraq (duh everybody knows that) but it gets hard at times. You spend your whole life looking for that thing that makes you feel complete. I was blessed with receiving that at a young age, but then you want someone to share the road with. A soul mate. I thought my time had come and gone for that one. When your having a "Bob" moment that person is there to physically wrap their arms around you and tell you everything is gonna be all right. Yes I am talking about my wife. My sweet Haley. She really is my angel, she is my angel of redemption. I don't know if she knows this but when we were dating and getting pretty serious about getting married. I got really scared and didn't want to go through with it. I was afraid of being hurt again and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to recover a second time, and was thinking of running away from it all. Then there was this little knock at the door to my apartment and there she was and said she was just thinking of me and just wanted to hang out and talk. It was done. I was stuck. I was her's for eternity whither she wanted me or not. I'm glad it stuck. (life really does not get any better, best friend forever? Sweet deal, glad I got the extended warranty) But anyway so at times I get sad like everyone else and when I do I pop in Bob, and me and him talk for a bit and you know what? You guessed it;

~EVERYTHING IS GONNA BE ALL RIGHT~


No comments: