Monday, February 14, 2011

One Very Happy Girl

Warning: In honor of Valentine's Day this post contains material of a "mushy" content. Read at your own risk.

One night last July I decided to design Bennett's dream room. It was done mostly out of boredom, because Matt was at mutual for the night and Bennett was already asleep, but a little part of me truly loved the items I was picking out and I secretly hoped to one day own a few of them. When Matt got home from the church I showed him my Word document where I had copied and pasted all the pictures of what I wanted, but after that night I never really thought about it again. It is highly unlikely that we will ever earn enough money to drop thousands of dollars on our toddler-aged son's bedroom, and I am much to realistic to cling to the idea that we could win the lottery. So I let it all go.

Except one thing.

That night I fell in love with this fabulous toy storage cubby, and I have never been able to forget it completely. Especially after Christmas, when I realized that Bennett's toys had successfully taken over his room, spilling out from his closet and into the hall. (Did I ever mention that we have only bought Bennett a small handful of toys since he has been born? We are very blessed to have a son who is younger than several other boys in our ward, and they generously give everything they outgrow to Bennett. And not to mention loving grandparents on both sides who spoil this kid rotten.) So when I found myself beating back unruly amounts of toys with a shovel, and swearing that if I stubbed my toe one more time on that dang truck/action figure/dinosaur I was going to lose my mind (and possibly my toe), I remembered the beautiful storage cubby and coveted its organization with all my heart.

But alas, it was not to be. For I have rather expensive taste and a rather small wallet, and it would take months to save up for such an item. And despite my best efforts at setting money aside for this dream, something always came up that was much more important, and I would find that yet another month had gone by with no luck in the toy organization department.

But today all of that changed. Because three years ago I married the best guy in the World.

Apparently while Matt was home for R&R, he hijacked my Word document from all those months ago and took it back with him to Iraq, where he secretly acquired money I had forgotten we had. And today, I received an email from my Mattie, saying this...

------------

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!!!!!!!


*Your transaction is complete, and you are now logged out. Thank you for shopping at landofnod.com
*You will be receiving an order confirmation email with your order numbers shortly.
*To make sure your order confirmation emails are delivered to your inbox, please add landofnod@landofnod.com to your email Address Book.


I THOUGHT THIS MIGHT MAKE YOU SMILE :)

I LOVE YOU MORE THAN YOU KNOW. SORRY I CAN'T BE THERE FOR THIS ONE I'LL DO MY BEST TO MAKE IT UP TO YOU FOREVER!

---------------

I guess you could call this a brag blog, because I just have to say, I married one heck of a guy! I have indeed been smiling all day. But not because I got my dream toy cubby. It is beautiful and I love it, but in the end it is just a thing.

No, I am smiling because my husband is my best friend. Because he listens to me, and loves me, and supports me. Even in the the little things that don't really matter that much. He keeps me realistic, but also lets me dream, and he does his best to fulfill each and every one of those dreams. What I ever did to deserve a guy like this is beyond me, but all I know is that I am one very happy girl.

And my toes are happy, too. :)

6 comments:

The Hazard Family said...

Oh my goodness, Haley, it's a dream come true! I am so excited for you! How many times have you told me about that storage cabinet? We walked all over Ikea looking for a similar one, but nothing could compare with the one from Land of Nod. You did indeed marry a great guy and I love him too. What a great surprise! Can't wait to see the blog about it when it comes.

Heather Jones said...

CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matthew Hargrave said...

Yeah I'm awesome like that! :-)

The Hargrave Clan said...

Haha! Ya, you are...

Vanessa said...

you both are awsomely sweet and perfect for eachother! what a sweetie!!!! p.s. can you email us matt's address?!? we've been meaning to mail somethings for a while now. but i know with our previous "gift" flop and failure to follow thru...i'm sure you will be home before i can make it to the post office with 4 children! but i can always hope and try! we love you guys!!!!! shlitterbonn 2012!!!!

Matthew Hargrave said...

matthew.w.hargrave@gmail.com