Friday, February 18, 2011

One of THOSE days...weeks...

Tuesday night Bennett and I were at a friends' house for dinner when Bennett, who had been completely fine all day, suddenly climbed into my lap and said, "I toad (cold)."

And that's when I knew he was sick.

Not because he told me he was cold, but because my very independent mover-child was voluntarily letting me hold him. (I'm pretty sure this phenomenon has only happened one other time since he was four months old.) Since that night, Bennett has had this weird fever thing that would spike about every two hours or so. Between the fever spikes he would be completely fine to the point of healthy, but then the fevers would hit again and he would be out like a light. Not a bad sickness, as far as sicknesses go, but what it left me with was an extremely tired, unhappy boy who had no idea what he wanted most of the time.

As a result of Bennett's wonderful attitude, I went to bed each night at a ridiculously early hour, grateful that I had held it together for as long as I had, and praying with all my might that I would make it through the next day with my sanity still in check. I know poor Bennett didn't feel good and I really tried to be as understanding as possible. But honestly. I can only take so much whining before I start to lose it.

So that is why I am posting this video on here. Because today, for several blissful moments, my sweet Bennett-Boy surfaced once again and I remembered why it is that I like him so much. And after a week like the one we've had, I really needed a reminder. (Anybody who has had the privilege of being the mother of a horribly grumpy and sick two-year-old knows exactly what I am talking about right now.) And to make things even better, I am pretty sure that this fever thing is gone for good. So we should be seeing much more of our "Happy Bennett," versus whatever child has been visiting in our home for the last several days.



(Just as a side note, we baked these cookies at a really high temperature so they would still be sanitary to eat after all of Bennett's "helping.")

I really do just love this boy. We have our ups and downs, but he truly makes me so happy each and every day. I feel so blessed to get to be his mom.

Yes. Even on the sick days.

3 comments:

Matthew Hargrave said...

I have the best family ever!!!

The Hazard Family said...

What a cute video! Baking with kids can be so much fun. I'm sorry he's been so sick and grumpy, but hope that there are better days ahead! Hang in there, Hay. We love you!

Vanessa said...

You are a super brave woman. I have 4 out of 4 here and sick wit the baby the sickest and im about to go crazy! Its so. Nice to have our cildren back to normal!!!