Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Zoo (finally...)

I am terrible at this blog thing lately, but like, two weeks ago (May 4th) a few of my mommy friends and I decided to take our kids to the Waco Zoo. I've never taken Bennett to the zoo before so I was excited to see his reaction to the animals, and he did not disappoint. Bennett is at the perfect age for the zoo and he loved every minute of it. Of course, Jace came along for the ride, too and loved it as well. Sometimes I forget I only have one child...

Here we are at the entrance to the zoo. We decided to go in the early Spring because school was still in session and the weather wasn't too hot yet. We are so smart. However, because it was early spring almost half of the zoo was closed due to summer prep time construction. It worked out in the end though, because in the amount of time it took us to walk through what we could our kids had had their fill of fun and were ready for lunch and naps. I love when stuff works out just right.

Before we left I jokingly put this dorky hat and these sunglasses on Bennett. Little did I know he would grow an immediate strong attachment to the hat. So our little boy went the entire day looking like a creepy bag lady. At least he didn't get a sunburn.

Our buddy Aspen and Bennett, looking for the orangutangs. They were busy sleeping in this morning (lucky orangutangs).

Bennett has become a pretty good walker and has started striking out on his own away from the confines of the stroller (under close adult supervision). I am happy about this, although I do wish he would slow down a little. Bennett only has one speed--run.

Bennett and Jace watching the "elf-anauts" (elephants).

This guy was so cool. He put on a little show for us drinking with his trunk.

The giraffes.

Along the way there were little play stations set up for the kids to get out and stretch their legs. This is Bennett and his friend Camden playing inside a teepee near the bison exhibit. Teepees are excellent for running in circles and screaming with joy when you are two years old.

I tried to get a good picture of me and Bennett all day long, but this is all I ended up with. But just so you know, I am still alive and doing well.

Here's Jace, making his fishy face. Because so much of the zoo was closed we saw a lot of aquarium animals (snakes, lizzards (dinosaurs), spiders, birds, fish...)

When we made it to the otter exhibit, the otters were nowhere to be seen. There was, however, a giant clear slide going right through their home that we all found very entertaining.

Right before we left we stopped in the last of the aquariums to let our kids cool off a little. And cool off they did, because there was a stream of water running through the exhibit. Here's Bennett's girly-friend, Brielle, cooling off her feet.

And here's Bennett, cooling off his entire body. Bennett can always find a way to make me do extra laundry. We drove home that afternoon tired and happy. But we can't wait until Matt gets home so we can all go back together to see the other half. We love the zoo!

No comments: