Saturday, February 25, 2012

Not Stopping!

So we got a lot of stuff going on, as Haley told everybody in our last blog. I guess it is my job to put some pictures in. Needless to say we have really not had a slow week or weekend since Christmas. She being the Primary President and me the Scoutmaster. It keeps us on our toes. Here is a little bit of what we have been doing.

Since we started this whole pregnancy thing again we have not shopped much and have drastically cut into our food storage. So with this tax return we decided to catch up. (This is only half of it) Haley did really well though, I think she only had 2 panic attacks during the whole process! (by the way IBC Root Beer is ESSENTIAL for surviving a zombie apocalypse)

So Wayne and I decided we needed to build a little wagon to carry our guns around for our SASS shoots. Bennett, of course would not be left out! No shoes, one sock but we got our stick and pencil we are good to go! Best helper ever!

Just try and tell me this just isn't too cute. Bennett came running to me with all his tools, in a little bit of a panic and told me "Daddy I need help, (referring to putting his tool belt on) "I have to work like Daddy" Sometimes I just like to sit back and watch him. Talk about melt your heart.

After one of our awesome SASS shoots, we stopped at our favorite Catfish Grill and of course we asked for a regular size chicken fried steak ( I may have goaded Wayne into getting the "regular" size ) needless to say it was a little bit bigger than anticipated!!!

So some of you may know that I have had cyst on my face ever since I was a teenager. I have had steroid injections, extreme dosages of all kinds of antibiotics, narcotics, etc...trying to eliminate this nasty little thing. It finally came down to just cutting it out of my face. Well that happened almost 10yrs ago. It left me with a really cool scar! Unfortunately, during this last rotation to Iraq I had another cyst pop up. So I was able to get in with a great plastic surgeon down at Wilford Hall Medical Center in San Antonio and she did her best to take it all out.

A few things on that. I have never been "under" in my life. I have always been awake and just dealt with the pain. A lot of people were like, "Oh don't worry, you'll just go to sleep and wake up and it will be great!" No it wasn't! I have cuts and bruises all over my body that I know were not there prior to my operation. The only thing the Doc told me was, we had one heck of a "rodeo". Not sure what that meant but my mom informed me that the reason I was probably strapped down to the table was I might have been very combative. Go figure! Me? No, I'm the most calm person I know. Not a violent bone in my body! (hahaha) Anyway here is the before picture.

This is after the Surgeon played connect the dots on my face. I was a little nervous, I mean someone is fixing to perform chop fuoy on your face! Not an everyday activity.

This is after the fight, I mean after the surgery. They said they had to give me A LOT of drugs to calm me down. But I must put in my dear sweet pregnant wife was there with me through all of it. (This is the dear sweet wife talking: I sat in a waiting room for 13 hours with a lot of really sad/jumpy people who were all waiting on family members to get out of surgery. I watched every trashy talk show known to man. I read half of "The Help." I ate one time in 7 hours (that is amazing for me right now). It was really really long, but it was worth it. Mattie did great. OK, back to Matt.) We had good family who watched our little boy at the last minute, and all the love and support we needed. I know others have had way more intense surgeries but this was pretty big for me. Thanks to everybody!

1 comment:

The Hazard Family said...

Three weeks in a row! I love it! As hard as it must've been, Matt, you don't look that bad. That should heal nicely and I'm glad it went well. Love the picture of Bennett with his pajamas and tool belt. He is a man's man!