Sunday, June 23, 2013

Captain and Commander

This week was awesome. Number one awesome thing that happened: I cleaned our house. I know, that sounds like something that probably shouldn't merit a mention under the title of "awesome" but since we have moved in I have spent a lot of time organizing and not a lot of time cleaning. So the fact that I finally scrubbed our toilets was a big deal around here. And it felt good. Like we live here.

The reason I finally cleaned our house (oh, except for the master bedroom and bathroom. Those were still a work-in-progress that was dangerous and unhygienic to walk through until this weekend) is because of the second awesome thing that happened: Mary and Wayne came up for a visit. And they brought a fabulous gift with them in the form of a working riding lawnmower! We already had the mower, but it didn't really run properly. So Wayne fixed it up for us and ta-da! Our neighbors can like us again! Although Bennett is sad he lost his "jungle" but he will have to get over it because this should mean less Oklahoma wildlife, aka: snakes and spiders the size of your hand. So we are happy. Wayne also did a plethora of other "man jobs" around the house while Matt was at work, including putting in a new air conditioning control panel. So now we can choose when to be hot or cold instead of relying on whatever the previous cold-blooded owners of this house had programmed it to be. Thank you, Wayne!

Mary also bore gifts in the form of raw, unadulterated, sewing talent, which she generously used helping me figure out how to revamp almost all of our old window treatments to fit our new windows. It was awe-inspiring to watch her work. I also tried my hand at the sewing machine...which I got for my birthday...in November...and just took out of the box this week...and found that I am not as scared of it as I thought! I think I might even tackle a pretty big project on my own in the next couple of weeks. We'll see. It was really fun to hang out with Mary and Wayne, spending our days in Hobby Lobby and enjoying our nights all together when Matt got home, playing with the boys and chatting about life. We are so blessed to have them!

And now to the main, awesome event: Matt's Change of Command Ceremony! I have never been to one of these before, so I didn't really know what to expect. But it was really cool! It was held in a large room and the entire thing was filled to capacity with dentist and hygienists and other military people--all of whom now fall under Matt's leadership. I didn't realize there were so many of them! Matt is over all of the dental clinics on base, and he said that in one of his clinics there are 36 chairs that push over 200 people through a day. Whoa. That's a lot of teeth. Everybody seems to be happy to welcome us though, and we are excited to be here. The colonel gave a nice speech, and they did a little flag changing ceremony that looked very official (I still don't fully understand a lot of the military ceremonial things). And after Matt and the outgoing Commander spoke a little we all ate pizza and mingled. Very simple and very fun. I really think we are going to enjoy this new side of things here. It's just so relaxed and laid back compared to what we were used to on Fort Hood. And we are sort of a relaxed, laid back kind of a family. So it works.

Let me just say right now though, that I am one proud wife. Matt is one heck of a guy who is very good at what he does. He takes SUCH good care of us, and all those he is in charge of. And when as many cool people say as many great things about him as I have heard lately, it just sort of made me realize how amazing it is that he chose me to take with him on this super crazy adventure of life. Thank you, Matthew Hargrave. You are fantastic and I love you!

So anyway...

Bennett and Patton deserve some mention of awesomeness as well. Bennett wrote his first unassisted letter this week! He wrote, "Bennett loves Dad" (minus the word "love") but he sounded the word "Dad" out all on his own, and wrote the whole thing down legibly without any help at all from me. I know, it's a little thing. But as his mom I was pretty dang impressed. Go Buddy! Patton is also growing up way too fast, and is now using a fork and spoon like he was born to do nothing but eat (which some days I feel might actually be a true statement.) It is crazy to me that our baby boy is going to be one in just a few weeks. Where does the time go?

This weekend we were invited to an awesome BBQ over at one of the members' homes in our branch and we had a great time there meeting a bunch of people and playing volleyball. And I am really bad at volleyball. Like, people would dive in front of me to get the ball rather than risk the fact that I might actually try to hit it myself. But I made some funny jokes, so they didn't kick me off their team (but it was close). We all had a ton of fun and Bennett made a bunch of new friends and we are settling in nicely here.

And the last little bit of awesome news: Briefy (Bennett's "pet" bunny) had babies! They are so cute! Seriously, I can't stress that enough--SOOOOOO CUTE!! They are these four teeny little brown fur balls that hop around the yard after their momma and are only slightly more afraid of us than Briefy. And the best part? These adorable little bunnies are going to grow up without any help or stress on our part, and then move away all on their own. I love it. Thank you, nature. You provide the best pets.

OK, that's enough awesomeness for now. And once again, I have a ton of pictures, but nothing uploaded. We are really behind on that. So next week. And Mom, pictures of our house will be included in that post. Promise.

It is going to be awesome :)

1 comment:

The Hazard Family said...

So much awesomeness! I'm a little sad that there weren't any pictures since I read that whole thing expecting the pictures to be at the end, but I loved hearing about your happy life so much that you are forgiven. Can't wait for next week though! We are also very proud of Matt. No wonder he is my favorite son-in-law!