Sunday, October 20, 2013

Things to Come

So here is a little sneak peak and some upcoming blogs....as some of you know I had the opportunity to go on a elk hunt to the Gila National Forest in New Mexico with a great friend of mine Kevin Lake.  Funny story about 2 weeks before the hunt I received a phone call from Kevin about this awesome elk hunt.  He has asked me almost every year for the past 4yrs.  There was always a reason why I couldn't go (usually work).  Haley told me that if I could get off work she would have no problem with me going.  The next day I broached the subject with my boss and before I could finish saying "can I" he told me "see you in 2 weeks".  The hunt was on!  Now I love to hunt, I mean I LOVE TO HUNT....I try my best to tone it down for my sweet wife who was not raised with dead animals hanging in the back yard that you ate that night.  Slowly been trying to wean her into that life and she is doing great!

 Just across the border into New Mexico. It was a little over 900 miles one way...

 This was the little general store that was still 45min drive to our campsite, and the only gas station for 200 miles...

 As we were driving into the Gila we stopped to glass this side of the mountain and we saw the largest Elk that my buddy Kevin has ever seen.  A massive 7x7  that was well over 350...

 One of the morning hunts we came across this skull and horns.  I have been working on restoring these babies for a bit...last pic is the final product...

 ...back at work we said goodbye to one of our dentist, COL Bernie Hennessy, a great dentist and mentor.  He will be missed.

 Just a pic of some of my staff at one of the clinics.  Great folks to work with...

 I mounted a couple racks for my buddy Kevin.  He shot the muley on the right last year.  Not to shabby...

TA DA! The finished product!  Bennett had alot of fun helping me out with this.  He really wants to hang them in his room but we have to convince his mom first...she has a very no dead animals throughout the house rule...remember this is all very new to Haley but she'll come around :-)

No comments: