Sunday, February 15, 2015

Valentine's Day Extravaganza!

This week was one giant overly-frosted sugar cookie. I have cavities from it.

No, seriously...I have cavities. First ones in my life. Like, 28 years of perfection, and then suddenly, BOOM! Four cavities all at once. I blame them on Kennedy, for changing my PH balance while she was occupying my body (it happens) but really? FOUR?!! I had my first two filled this Thursday, and I'll go in this Tuesday to get the next two done. I was a baby and had to hold the dental assistant's hand while they gave me the numbing shot, but after that it was quite enjoyable. I mean, when else can I lay back in a chair during the middle of the day and watch TV without anybody interrupting me? It was like a vacation. I'm just upset about my broken track record of perfection. Dang PH balance.

Before we get to the holiday events, I just need to mention the adorable little Kindergarten Program Bennett participated in on Friday. He wore a chicken hat (need I say more?!) and was one of the handful of children assigned an actual speaking part. His one line of script was practiced diligently over the last several weeks, and when it came time to deliver it he did so with great gusto and pride.

"Cheep, cheep, cheep the chickens say. They lay eggs all night and day!" 

It was like Shakespeare himself had written the words. This was followed by several songs about chickens and ducks and farmers doing hoe-downs, and we ate up every single moment of that wiggly little five-year-old shaking his plastic egg and waving to us at inappropriate moments. I am so happy we captured the entire performance on camera. We will cherish it always. Also, it will be a wonderful blackmailing tool when Bennett gets a little older.

The rest of the week was pink and red and sugar-frosted Valentine fun. Matt and I are incredibly romantic, and we both gave deeply thought-out gifts that demonstrated our unyielding love to one another. Matt got me a new iphone case. It is indestructible and has a picture of our three destructive children on the back of it. I love it! I gave Matt a morning of coyote hunting with his buddy on Valentine's Day. Doesn't get much more romantic than that.

The theme for Story Time this week was "Valentine's Day", so I did a lot with that. (Did I mention I help run the Story Time program for the City of Killdeer? I'll post something later...) For Bennett's Night Out with me this week we melted crayons into the shape of hearts and made valentines for his class. Thursday was his kindergarten class Valentine's Day party, and yesterday our family hosted a Valentine's Day Extravaganza where 29 fantastic friends (16 adults and 13 kids) filled our home.

Our party started accidentally a few weeks ago, when we realized we had signed up to feed the missionaries from our ward on Valentine's Day. We felt like it would be more fun if we invited another family over for dinner as well, and make an evening out of it. And then, as long as Family A was coming over, maybe we should just invite Family B as well. And maybe Family C. And what about couple D? And pretty soon the next thing you know, we had a rip-roaring all-out legitimate par-taaay on our hands and it couldn't have been funner! (quick side note: spell check didn't underline the word "funner" when I typed it just now. They must have given up on teaching people like me the correct use of comparative adjectives.)

So Matt made BBQ chicken and deep-fried breaded walleye fish that was soooo good. And I am not a fish person. I baked about three dozen sugar cookies in the shape of hearts, and made a bunch of different colors of frosting with sprinkles and icing bags and candy to go with it. We had some neighborhood kids over to help us decorate the house, filled a bunch of candy bowls with more sugary stuff, made sure the bathrooms were clean, and opened our doors to the friends and food and games that came rolling in. We had a cookie decorating contest for the kids, and the adults played Heads Up and Chubby Bunny (Matt threw up) while the littles watched Big Hero 6 in the basement and ate pink popcorn. It was a great big loud laid-back night, and I think we may make a tradition of it. We really do have some great friends here.

Now I am sugared out and we just had someone drop a cheesecake off at our door. Oh man. I don't think I can do it...on second though, it is a cheesecake...

Better alert my dentist.

 Kennedy has discovered the pure joy that eating solid foods can bring. She is a happy girl. Her official highchair arrives this week (I hope!)

 Patton Buddy at Story Time. This little boy is really coming into his own. He cracks us up.

 Story Time Buddies.

 Bennett's crayon valentines melting into hearts. He put them in little goody bags that said, "Have a colorful Valentine's Day!" I think a lot of the kids in his class tried to eat them...

 
This is one of the best pictures I could get of Bennett during his program from where I was sitting. That dang kid in the duck hat kept standing right in front of him every time I pulled my phone out. Also, that little girl he's standing next to is named Haley. They are best friends, and I have a plan to get them to marry and have two Haley Hargraves in the family. Bennett says he's cool with that, as long as they sleep in bunk beds.

 The Big Moment!

 Matt and Kennedy at Bennett's program.

 My wettest Valentine's kiss

 The cookie decorating contest

 Patton's cookie was very abstract. 

 Bennett's cookie is under all that frosting...somewhere...

 Bennett snuck into the garage today while everyone was napping after church and painted a cardboard box with my craft paints. Not a huge deal, but still breaking enough rules that he earned himself an early bedtime. This is Patton feeling awesome that he got some extra one-on-one puzzle time with us after Bennett was out of the picture.

No comments: