Sunday, June 6, 2010

Goodbye and Hello

Well, it finally happened. After weeks of our office being the official "Pack Zone," (translation: I got sick of seeing Army stuff everywhere so I threw it in a room and shut the door,) Matt gathered his stuff up and we all drove to the base at an unholy hour this morning to drop him off. From there, he traveled by bus to Louisiana, where he will spend the next several weeks practicing for Iraq...whatever that means. All I know is, he is gone and I am missing my bestest buddy. I get to talk to and text him on the phone pretty much whenever I want though, so it could be worse.

It could be A LOT worse.

Because while he is away, Bennett and I will be visiting my family and friends in Idaho, and I am so...dang...EXCITED!!!! Get ready for some loooooong blog posts, people. This is going to be awesome.

As for this week, most of it was spent preparing for JRTC (the training Matt is at) with intermittent swimming at this new amazing pool we found on base. There's not really a whole lot to write, so I'll just get straight to the pictures.

Before Matt leaves for anything like this, he will usually have me shave his head. He says it's just easier than dealing with hair while there are limited showers and you are out in the hot sun with a hat on all day. I think it makes him look tough. I also think there may be a future for me in monogrammed hair cutting.

This is supposed to be a heart. Like I said--"tough."

One day Matt went to the store for some basic supplies, like eight packs of beef jerky and twenty Payday candy bars and about a hundred little packs of Koolaid. You know, just the staples. But when he came home I found a little something waiting for me, too.

I sure love this guy. He knows me so well. :)

And now to the super cool pool. In the following video it looks way crowded because it was a weekend. But Bennett and I will usually hit this place up a few times a week with a bunch of our mommy friends, and there is literally nobody there. The lifeguards are way laid back, too, and they let you do pretty much whatever you want. It is sweet. Bennett usually spends most of his time attempting to reach the top of this slide by climbing up it the wrong way, and then screaming with delight when he slips and falls into the water. I just hope he realizes that he can only do this when somebody is at the bottom to catch him...



What a funny who-magoo. I know he is still pretty little, but Bennett is showing some definite signs of wanting to actually swim instead of being carried around in the water. Signs like randomly jumping out of our arms while we are in five-foot deep water. This is pretty scary for us. So with this fearless attitude of his, swimming lessons might not be a bad idea. Looks like we know what will be working on for the next few months. (P.S- the lady who caught him at the bottom of the slide is our friend, not just some random person. Thought I would clarify.)

Me and our Bennett Boy.

Mattie and Bennett in the little pool.

Just Bennett.

It is times at the pool like this that make me happy to live in Texas. Just so you know, we have already had a few days over 100* and I am developing a nice tan.

It is June 6th. :)

3 comments:

Heather Jones said...

yayyyyy!!!! You are coming to see me!! Yippee! I am so excited, I have been telling everyone you are coming (they look at me like I am dumb). I am sad your bestest buddy has to go, but happy you get to hang out with me instead! So, you are banned from posting anything about sun on your blog. I say BANNED. I don't think my legs have seen the sun yet, and it is raining right now. I am stuck inside with a 1year old and 2 year old and I am going crazy. As you can tell in my rambling! Love ya hays and I can't wait to see you!

Mark & Rachel said...

Yay! I am so glad you are coming to Idaho while we are still here! Let me know what your plans are-

Roeckers said...

HOW FUN!
Sorry Matt has to leave! Glad you get to go back home while he is gone. I don't look forward to returning to the really army and having Jake leave from time to time.