Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Primary Program and Life

Here we are in Oklahoma, just doing our thing. And suddenly I realize that it's been like, forever, since I updated this blog on what "our thing" is, exactly. And the end of the year is fast approaching, when we will print off this blog into a book and step back and say, "Hmmmm. That's a really small book."

Oh well. That's what new year's resolutions are for.
At least I'll try to put a few more pages in before that time comes.

The big news today is that it was the Primary Program for our little branch. It was Bennett's first time participating in the program, and it was my fourth time writing the program. I'm actually the Primary Chorister, but somehow I ended up not leading any music at all, and writing the program instead (?) At first it looked like I was going to have to sit in for the Sunbeam teacher on the stand as well, but we worked things out to where I got to sit in the audience like a normal parent and have complete tunnel-vision on my adorable, wiggly 4-year-old who I couldn't have been more proud of.

Bennett is awesome. He has no fear of public speaking at all. Back in Texas our family sang the Primary song, "My Heavenly Father Loves Me" in sacrament meeting a week before we moved. Bennett practiced the song well with us, but Matt and I were both a little nervous about how he would act once we stuck him up in front of an audience with a microphone in front of his face. On the day of the musical number though, Bennett marched right up onto the stand, stood on the chair that was balanced on top of the stool so he could reach the microphone, and belted out in the most confidant little rendition of "My Heavenly Father Loves Me" that I have ever heard. We were so proud (and emotional, since we were moving from that ward in a week) that it was a good thing Bennett carried us because I cried through most of it. Since that day, Bennett has had several other "microphone talks" (prayers, other musical numbers, primary talks) and each time he impresses us with his cool confidence in addressing any number of people in any situation.

The Primary Program today was no exception. When he walked to the front of the podium his teacher began trying to help him say his lines, but he whispered (very loudly) into the microphone that "I don't need help, I got this." He then proceeded to unroll a piece of paper I had given him with some pictures on it to help him remember his lines (although he has had it memorized for two weeks. I think he just felt cool "reading" his talk) and he delivered his part clearly:

"Heavenly Father created our bodies. He wants us to be nice to our bodies, and take care of them. He doesn't want us to be mean to our bodies."

Then he turned around, walked back to his seat, and announced loudly to the little girl sitting next to him, "Did you see how good I did? I'm really going to get chocolate ice cream with syrup on top when I go home!" I was so proud of him. And yes. He really did get his ice cream :)

I think it's amazing that we have a kid old enough to be in the Primary program. When did that happen?!

Patton, on the other hand, is more then welcome to walk himself right into Primary whenever he wants. That kid is driving me CRAZY!! Church is right over nap time and lunch time and he is not exactly rolling with the punches. He is the grumpiest, fussiest, LOUDEST child EVER and I am ready to just bring a pack-n-play and set it up in the foyer. The entire branch would probably thank me if I did. I know this is just a phase he is going through, and that he will eventually learn to sit, and hold still, and maybe, just maybe, he will learn how to NOT BE SO LOUD. But until then I will just try to be patient and enjoy the beautiful artwork in the hallways.

 In other news, Matt just got home from a two-week hunting trip in New Mexico with some friends from Texas. He hasn't stopped talking about it since he got home. I don't really love hunting, but I love that whenever Matt goes hunting he comes home so happy :)

I am just enjoying life. We are currently redoing our kitchen table and finishing up the last little projects that we haven't gotten around to doing yet. It feels good to finally be "done" moving in and I'm excited to see this house finished! I've also started my own little business working for It Works! and so far it's been really fun! More on that later.

Bennett is on a little soccer team that Matt is the coach of and they are doing really well. They're team is named the Vipers and they are currently undefeated! Woo-hoo! Beyond the scores though, it is super fun(ny) to watch a bunch of four and five year olds run after a ball and have victory dances when they kick it into the goal...even if it's the wrong goal.

Patton is ridiculously cute (when he's not being loud and disruptive at church). He is starting to learn how to get the things he wants by using his "please" and "thank you" hand motions, and by pointing and saying, "That?" in the cutest high-pitched voice. Bennett's voice was always so low and husky that it's fun to have a little squeaker around the house now. He has also learned that if he stand behind me he can put his hands on the back of my legs and gently push me in the direction he wants me to go. Like to the refrigerator to get him a drink. I love that boy.

Other than that we are just trying to find our place here. I know we moved clear back in May, but it took us awhile to really get settled, and then I left for almost an entire month. So it feels like we are just now getting here. But we are excited to see where this life takes us next!

2 comments:

The Hazard Family said...

So proud of our Bennett Boy! Wish we could've been there to see him, but the description was so good I almost feel like we were. We need pictures of your cute boys and your table when it's finished!

The Hazard Family said...

The hunting trip sounds like it went well. Glad Matt could do that. Did he bring home any meat? Love Dad.