Thursday, February 5, 2009

Yes...I am a diabetic :)

Haha! Well I guess I forgot to tell most of the world about this recent development, but I have developed gestational diabetes! Isn't life just full of little twists and turns?! My Dr. scheduled me for one of those sugar tests a few weeks ago (just to be safe) and the results came back positive. Now I get to eat a very strict diet, on a very strict schedule, prick my fingers and take glucose readings 7 times a day, and generally have a great time!
It's really not as bad as it sounds though, it is just annoying as heck. Matt and I have a deal that as soon as this baby gets here (and I mean immediately after delivery) he will bring me a LARGE BOX of ice cream snickers...which is something I have been craving and not allowed to eat for the last couple of weeks. Maybe a couple of Wendy's baked potatoes too. I am also vowing to become a vegetarian after this diet that forces me to eat meat about 12 times a day. :)
For those who are worried about the baby, don't be. He is just as safe and healthy as ever. Gestational diabetes really only affects his size (he can get too big) so they are tracking that carefully. Other than that though, all is well in the whomb.
So anyway, sorry if I forgot to mention this to anybody. It has been an interesting experience for me. I promise I will try to keep you all posted on any new exciting changes involving my body in the upcoming months! Eat protein!

7 comments:

Heather Jones said...

Ouch, I didn't know you had to prick your finger! You hate needles and blood. I am happy you are eating healthy, I wish someone would force me to eat healthy-haha! As long as your baby is healthy is all that matters, and big babies are cute anyways because they have cute little chubby rolls.

Mark & Rachel said...

You can do it Haley! Just a little bit longer :-)

Vanessa said...

My mom had that with Beau, (they didnt know) and he was 10 lbs. 11 oz., and they told me if I had more than 2 babies over 9 lbs. (since kelton was a chunker) then i'd have to go on the diet. I will send snickers icecream!! pregnancy means you should get to eat whatever you want! :) lets hope this little guy is a great nurser and you can do it when he comes out! :) missing you guys!

Annie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annie said...

Hey, you guys! I don't know what your email is, so i'll just send a note here. By the by, I'm sorry about the diabetes thing. That stinks!

So, did you know that my family (and i) lived in Copperas Cove?! What ward are you in? Here are some of my favorite people:
Fanos (Peka is one of my fave people)
Eliason (my sister dated Josh)
Jones (Parley and Fred are friends, esp. Parley)
Hmm... I'm trying to remember other people. Anyway, say hello to anyone who remembers Annie Thomas and the Thomas fam!! Love you guys,

Jarmandashmar said...

Hays that is so sad that you have to prick your finger:( I hate getting my finger pricked and I'm pretty danged sure that I wouldn't be able to do it to myself, so good job! Can the doctor tell how big he's going to be when he's born yet? I miss you, I wish I could be there when you have him. Good luck with eating healthy though!

Cambria said...

Haley! What a bummer. I hope I don't get that this time around. Just think though, not far now! (By the way, as long as the baby is not TOO big, fatter babies generally sleep better through the night ;-)That means more sleep for YOU!!