Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Where is the CPS?

I have often heard parents say "I just turned my back for a minute, and..." This statement always sounded like an excuse for un-watchfulness to me...until now. At the risk of sounding like a neglectful mother, I swear, will leave the room for literally 30 seconds, or sometimes I am still in the room but focused on something besides the active little boy for a minute, and disaster strikes.

Exhibit A: The Video Shelf. I was seriously three feet away, folding laundry when this happened. How he could destroy an entire shelf of VHS's in the time it took me to move that short distance is beyond me. He was rather proud of himself for breaking the land-speed record.

Exhibit B: Sidewalk Chalk. When the little boy I watch three times a week comes over, we occasionally go outside to play. I put Bennett down for a literally one minute to help Jace pull a toy out of the outside box, and Bennett made his move. You can still kind of see the residue of a piece of chalk he partially ate, still evident on his innocent face.

Exhibit C: The Toilet. Obviously there is no picture of this one. When you turn around to find your son gnawing on the seat of the toilet, it's not really the time to take photos.

Luckily, nothing too tragic has happened as of yet. Just a lot of little (and sometimes big) messes to clean up. So from now on, whenever I hear the saying "...for just a minute..." I think I am in no place to judge too harshly.

No comments: