Monday, January 3, 2011

New Years and Rexburg Fun

Well I was going to post some pictures on here of New Years Eve, but I didn't take any pictures of New Years Eve so that's out of the plan. I can tell you what we did though, and it was super fun.

First we all, Bennett included, went to the movie "Tangled" and Bennett did surprisingly well. He loved the action-intense parts and would yell "Oohh!" and "Woah!" loud enough to get looks from the people sitting around us. He also liked dancing to the music, running up and down the isles, making friends with the little boy a few rows up, eating popcorn off the floor (gag), standing on the seats, and shoving handfuls of candy into his mouth. (Don't worry, the candy wasn't from off the floor.) It was a very active movie for me, but I still saw almost the entire thing and really enjoyed it.

When we got home we put Bennett to bed and drank homemade hot chocolate, played Scattergories (which I miraculously won) and talked until it was time to watch the ball in Times Square drop. I have no idea why, but I was SO excited for the year 2011 to start. I could literally barely contain myself. As we were all toasting each other with glasses of sparkling cider, I sat on the couch and just laughed and cried for no reason I could explain. Maybe because Matt comes home this year. Maybe because I need to get more sleep. Either way, it was a good night.

Since New Years we have kept busy doing all sorts of fun things. Bennett and I have been thoroughly spoiled. Here are a few pictures indicating the fun times we have had while here.

This has got to be my favorite picture from this trip. What you are seeing is a game I started with Bennett while we were waiting for my dad and Allison to pick out a flavor of ice cream. The game goes like this: Put Bennett in the main part of a shopping cart. Wait for him to yell "Doh!" (go) and then push like mad. Best game ever. My dad took over when I started getting tired and Bennett loved it. I believe this photo was taken mid-shriek. Bennett sure does love his "Bumpah" (grandpa).

It was also on this night I let Allison and my dad take Bennett while I stood in line to pay for a few items. I soon heard an unearthly yell that I knew belonged to my kid, who was undoubtedly hurt. Bennett is an active boy and gets hurt a lot, so I wasn't very worried...until Allison brought him to me. Apparently he had been running full speed ahead (pretty fast for Bennett) and had made direct contact with a low hanging sushi bar. Poor guy, his head looked so bad. As my dad put it, "Bennett could wear two hats." The giant goose egg was gone by the time Bennett woke up the next morning, but the scratch lingered and is evident in the rest of the following pictures over his right eyebrow. I swear, if this boy survives to see two years old I will be so happy.

One night Aunt Courtney (or Aunt "toe-tee" to Bennett) decided to make cookies together. Here is how the night went.

Mixing the cookies

Eating the cookies

Rolling the cookies

Eating the cookies

Baking the cookies

And then guess what we did? That's right. We ate the cookies. Bennett got way more than his fair share of sugar on this night, but it was worth it to see him so involved in cooking. I say wahoo to this. He can take over for me in a few years.

One day we went to see Courtney at the sandwich shop she works at. When my mom showed Bennett that Courtney was behind the counter, he got so happy to see her. It was pretty cute.

Bennett with his aunt Owdee (Alie) waiting for Courtney to bring us lunch. These two are good buddies (despite the fact that she let him run into a sushi bar...)

A picture of Bennett's "Aum-ma" (Grandma. I know my mom will get mad at me for posting this "horrible picture" on here, but I felt she wasn't represented in this post very well so I put it on anyway. Sorry mom.)

The new college semester starts in just a few days, so both Allison and Courtney moved into their apartments while I was here. I didn't get any pictures of Courtney's apartment (which has vaulted ceilings and is very nice) but I did go with Allison to help organize and decorate hers. This is the before picture.

And this is the after picture. Helping Allison move in reminded me how much I loved going to college...and how very, very happy I am to be done. Being a mom is way better than doing homework any day.

For Family Night on Monday we went to Arctic Circle for ice cream and to play on the only playground that is still accessible during the dead of winter. Here's Bennett and Allison eating their treats.

The "SIDE!" (slide. You have to yell this word to get it's full effect.)

And this is just a picture I thought was funny because I had no idea the camera was working when we took it.

There are probably a million more pictures I could put on here, but I think you got the jist of it. Tomorrow we will pack our bags and Bennett and I will head to Utah to catch our flight back to Texas on the 5th. It has been sooo much fun spending time with so many wonderful people. I think both Bennett and I will go through withdrawals from lack of attention, free food, and childcare. All good things must come to an end, however, and so we are on to the next great adventure.

So long, Idaho. We will visit you again soon.

4 comments:

Mark & Rachel said...

Looks like you had lots of fun! Random, is Allison in Kensington 101? I lived in that apartment and recognized the set up of the bedroom. When does Matt get R&R?

The Hargrave Clan said...

You have only been gone for about 8 hours, but I am already missing you both so much! I guess I am back to reading your blog several times a week and connecting through phone calls and pictures. It was sooooo fun to have you here! I continue to find little evidences of Bennett all over the house and I try not to get too sad. You are both very loved and very missed!

The Hazard Family said...

Oh oh! I didn't realize that you were still logged into my computer and my comment came up under your name. I'm sure you figured out already that this is Mom, but I thought I'd better clarify.

Allison Kay said...

You wanted me to comment so I thought I'd make some corrections. First, I am JUST Allie. no aunt please. And there are two L's in Allie.

Second, You told the story of Bennett's head, but you forgot to mention that I am the only aunt who got him a free balloon and candy for it! It was totally worth it for him and he loved me for it :)