Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter at Maimie and Pop's

Every year Matt's family does a big Easter celebration at his mom and Wayne's home in San Antonio. Every year it is a huge hit. Of course we went last year, but Bennett didn't really get the whole idea of bunnies and eggs at that point in his life. This year, however, our son discovered the true meaning of "candy." We are so proud.

First things first, face painting. Maimie has got some mad skills in this area. Everybody was lining up to have his or her face converted into a work of Easter art.

Bennett got a bunny on one cheek, and a sun on the other. As you can tell, he was very pleased with the outcome.

Wayne got a scar on one cheek, and a brand on the other. Mary embraced the shape of her nose, turning it into a carrot. I feel a special bond to Mary when it comes to our noses...

Rachel and I found our inner bunnies. Rachel's was a cute bunny. Mine was a little creepy.

All the cousins with painted faces and trying with all their little hearts to look decent while posing.

My favorite picture from the day.

Next was the main event--the Easter Egg Hunt. Here are some of the littles waiting for the all clear from the grown ups. There were only five kids this year, and about 150 eggs. You do the math. It. Was. AWESOME!!!

Matt got to SKYPE us on Bekah's fancy new phone to see Bennett's first official egg hunt. Mary helped Bennett find eggs, Bekah carried Matt around, and I took pictures with the camera. Bennett had quite the little entourage and I am sure this moment was well documented. It meant a lot to us though, to have so many people so willing to help us out. You gotta love this family.

Bennett showing Daddy his eggs.

Everybody else looking for eggs.

Every egg has something yummy inside, but each year there are two eggs--the gold egg and the silver egg--which contain money. These two eggs are hidden especially hard, and are quite the trophy for whoever has eyes good enough to spot them. This year Barrett got the gold egg with five dollars in it, and Marshall got the silver egg with three. What lucky boys!

Bennett was more than content with his numerous candy-filled eggs. I finally had to cut him off after he ate the contents of about fifteen during the time I was talking to Matt. Bennett loves Easter more than he loves life.

Sitting in our spoils. Mwahahaha!
(Not really, but he did find a lot)

Aunt Rach brought along her bubble maker machine, so after the egg hunt the kids all had a fun time chasing these little babies around the drive.

This is Aunt Rachel karate kicking her son, Walker, much to the worried delight of Bennett. We all just try to stay out of Aunt Rach's way...

I guess I have developed a skill for vegetable chopping, because that seems to be my designated assignment for every event I go to. I have to say, I do make a pretty spread.

Here is the rest of the food. Lunch was delectable, as always, and the company was even better.

After this I left my camera inside the house, which is too bad because there was still a lot of fun stuff we did I never took pictures of. Like the bounce house Mary and Wayne rent every year. And shooting guns (which Bennett and I watched without participating in. Sorry Matt). And taking a fun family picture. But maybe somebody else in the family will post those and I will steal pictures from them to put on here later. It was a blast.

We drove home that night with our tummies full, our cheeks slightly sunburned, and a head full of new memories made. We are two lucky people.

Happy Easter!

No comments: