Sunday, October 7, 2012

Insert Clever Title Here (I am really tired)

Bennett has become quite independent lately. He has to do everything by himself. Taking a bath, getting dressed, getting in and out of the car, putting away his toys, opening food containers, brushing his teeth, setting the alarm system...everything. So it was no surprise when I came out from changing Patton's diaper one day to find this...

Bennett laying out everything he would need to make his own lunch. The great thing is, he actually created a very nutritious, balanced meal for himself.

A peanut butter sandwich, baby pickles, Ritz crackers, an apple, two different types if applesauce, apple juice (Bennett really likes apples), teddy grahams, and an Oreo cookie. My job as a mom here is complete.

 Last Wednesday my friend, Sarah, called to ask if we wanted to come with her and her kids to a USO Sesame Street live performance showing on base. Of course we said yes, because we love our friends and we love Elmo. It was a pretty cute play with a good message for military families about moving away from friends, but mostly I think Bennett just liked playing with the free light toy they gave him and dancing to the music. An afternoon well-spent either way.

 Elmo and gang.

Patton, getting in on the USO doo rag action.

Bennett and his friend, Camden, playing with their Elmo lights and dancing. I actually have a really funny video of this, but we haven't uploaded it yet. Maybe I'll come back later and add it. These two have got some moves.

 I could just eat this little face right up!

Last weekend was the General Relief Society Meeting. On the morning of the broadcast, our stake did a 5K run based on the theme, "I can do hard things." Originally I had planned on missing this event because we would be visiting Matt in San Antonio. However, things worked out to where Matt was able to come up to see us instead, and I entered myself in the run last-minute. I told myself that I didn't care how fast I went, the goal was to never stop running until the finish line. And I did it! Granted, my cross country days are long behind me and I almost threw up after I was done, but I did it! And not only that, but I came in pretty close to the front of the pack, too. I was so proud of myself! I think I will make it a standing rule from now on to only race when the competition is a bunch of women pushing strollers and who are over the age of fifty. It was a real ego booster. 

 Bennett and Camden again, sharing an umbrella in the downpour before the race started. It was pretty wet the whole day, but I would take that any time over the heat that could have been.

You'll have to click on this picture to really be able to see it, but this is the starting line. Bennett ran with me until he reached Matt (holding the camera) and then I was on my own from there. Matt said that after I was out of sight though, they started walking the course and Bennett ran almost all of the way. Apparently we might have another runner in the family. Which is good, because Bennett could really benefit from letting his energy out in a productive way.

Trying not to throw up at the end. Yay me!

Have a great week!

3 comments:

The Hazard Family said...

Wow Haley! Good for you! We miss chasing you around on the cross country courses, but is sounds like you've still got it. I'm so proud of you. And I could eat that little face up too!

The Hazard Family said...

Haley, when I ran the temple to temple relay, my leg was through Freeman park in Idaho Falls. As I ran, I thought about all the times I watched you run there. You were, and are, awesome!! Love, Dad.

Colby and MyKel said...

Good Job Haley! Colby and I love reading your posts. You always have really fun things to say and make us laugh! In a good way. We are wishing that our lives could be as interesting as yours thats why we usually have nothing post. We are quite boring haha Oh, by the way, Your boys are so cute and adorable. Hopefully we can see you guys soon! I have not seen you since Colby and I were married! crazy! TIme flys. Have a great week!