Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Family That's Sick Together...

We are sick. Sick, sick, sick.

Actually, we are all mostly better now, but that has pretty much been the theme of this week. Last weekend we were in Texas to, A-pick up our fifth wheel (which we now have parked in our driveway and are woking on packing. More on that later), B-pick up the meat we had processed from Matt's deer hunt a few months ago, C-go to church with Matt's nephew, Barrett, who turned twelve and received the priesthood, D-see family and friends we will not be seeing for a long time, since we are moving in a few weeks.

We did it all in two days. It was a busy trip.

Patton wasn't feeling well when we left, and by the time we came home we were ALL on our deathbeds, coughing up lungs and feverish. So Tuesday we declared it Family ER Visit Day, and we all spent a rousing morning sitting in a waiting room and being diagnosed with various cases of colds, strep throat, and the flu. The remainder of the week was spent drinking liquids in front of the TV. Seriously...the entire week. We don't get sick very often around here, but when we do, we do it in style. I am pretty sure we watched about a million movies.

By Friday morning we were all up again, although slowly, and Matt even went back to work. The boys and I ventured out to a puppet show at the library, but by the time it was over we all came home and crashed in our beds again. And that about sums up our week.

On a side note, I find it fascinating that sickness will bring out a person's true personality. Here is what I learned about our family the last couple of days.

Matt is amazing. He was probably the most sick out of all of us, but since I think he saw that I was doing little to improve our living situation this week (ie: eating food. Living in a basic state of cleanliness. Dressing on a regular basis) he frequently dragged himself from the floor to help me wherever he could. It was definitely a team effort this week, but I think Matt was the most valuable player.

I am a dying star when I get sick: I just sort of go into myself until I either recover or self-destruct. Thankfully, I usually recover. Which is good, because I am not very nice or patient when I am sick. I need to improve this about myself.

Bennett is my polar opposite. He is by far our easiest sick person. He is the chipper little voice coming from the couch, announcing in happy, conversational tones that, "I am about to throw up, but don't worry! I have my red bowl! I will be OK! Oh, and Mom, my head is very hot. Maybe I have a fever! But we have medicine! I can take care of my body!" Very optimistic (and a little annoying, when the rest of us feel like death would be a welcome alternative compared to what we are going though.)

Patton is by far our grumpiest sick person. By faaaaar. If he is being held he's fine, but if we dare to put him down, we ALL suffer. And since he was the first to get sick, and the last to get better, our patience is wearing thin with his little attitude. Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for the guy...I just sort of feel worse for the rest of us right now. He needs to get better. 

Baby Three deserves a mention here, as it is healthy and strong. All of my coughing fits even motivated it to attempt a few wiggles here and there, which I can feel now. We also got to see the baby Wednesday at an appointment, and although we tried so hard to tell, it was being pretty uncooperative and we still have to idea of a gender. March 4th is our big ultrasound, so hopefully we'll know then. And since we weren't about to leave the kids with a babysitter during the week of the plague, they both got to see Baby Three as well. Bennett totally gets it and is super excited to be a big brother again. Patton liked the toys in the doctor's office.

Tomorrow I will get Matt to upload pictures on here from our trip, but right now I am going to go to bed. Because it's 9:06. Waaaay too late for me to be up.

Here's to good health! 

  

2 comments:

Jared and Sierra said...

Haley! How pregnant are you and when is your due date? We will have twin babies :)haha and I loved how happy Beennett is when he is sick! :)

Unknown said...

I've talked to you since you wrote this so I know you are all better now, but this was a classic post. I could just hear Bennett's cute little voice saying those happy words and I laughed right out loud. You have the cutest family, even when you are all sick!