Sunday, February 8, 2015

Big Babies and Little Talks

Here we go! Three weeks in a row! And you should know that my writing of this post tonight is a complete symbol of my dedication to The Blog, as the tip of my middle finger on my right hand has completely split open from all this wonderful dry weather, and each time I push the backspace button, or the letters i, k, o, p, l, and the , and . buttons I feel like I am going to loose that finger altogether. In fact, it would be a welcome relief at this point.

This week we went to the doctors. Not for my finger (although maybe I should have mentioned it.) We went in for Kennedy's 6 month well baby check up, and Patton's 30 month weigh-in. What is a 30 month weigh-in, you ask? It is something doctors make you do if your child has been labeled "failure to thrive" due to significant scrawniness. And have you seen Patton? Scrawny. So each time Kennedy gets a check up, so does Patton. I have told the doctors (the ones in Texas, the ones in Oklahoma, and the one here who we actually really love) that Patton is just a little guy. He eats. He sleeps. He plays. And he comes from a long line of scrawny men. But they insist on the weigh-ins, just to be safe. As of now, Patton is still well below the weight of an average two-and-a-half year old, landing somewhere in the 6th percentile. But since he is healthy in every other way, we are good to go. I even had to break out the next size up of clothing for him this last week, so he is finally in a size 2T and some 3T! I think on the next visit I will just bring in a family picture.

Kennedy, on the other hand, is thriving. She is landing herself somewhere in the upper 80th percentile for both height and weight, which is downright chunky for our family. In fact, when the nurse saw us she said, "Oh my goodness! I can't believe she's nine months old already!"...she's not. But she is wearing 9-12 month clothing, and in some cases 12-18 month tops. When Kennedy has her clothes off she has such delicious rolls I just want to squeeze her and roll her around like a big ball of soft, white play dough. She is starting to eat solid foods now, too. So it can only get better from here. I have always secretly hoped that one day one of my children would play on a football team so I can paint my face and cheer in the stands. Maybe Kennedy will be the one to help me fulfill that dream :)

(As a quick side note, Bennett has always been right at the 50th percentile mark for height and weight. Interesting how different these little bodies are growing.)

Bennett had a good week at school and didn't get any notes sent home from the principal or start one food fight in the cafeteria (this is a serious milestone for us.) He did, however, decide to take his shirt off and wash it in the bathroom sink one day after lunch (why..?) His teacher gave him a sweatshirt to wear home. He also got his report card this week. On a scale of one to three, with three being the highest, Bennett scored all threes! Whoop-whoop! Wait, there was one two in there under "handwriting" which was probably lenient of his teacher considering he consistently writes like a doctor filling out prescriptions. We are super proud of him though, especially since one of those threes was next to, "Listens attentively and follows classroom rules". Yay Bennett!! Maybe he will make it to the first grade after all! Or maybe his teacher just forgot about that hole he poked in her table last week...

Matt had drill this weekend (he leaves from Friday night to Sunday afternoon one weekend a month to participate with the North Dakota National Guard), so the kids and I hung out with friends and played a little tennis at the rec center, then went out to pizza and shopping for Valentine's Day. It was on this day I discovered that my kids have exactly ZERO interest in tennis. Most people, actually, have zero interest in tennis. I picked a dying sport. But we still had a lot of fun running around the courts and throwing balls and playing "Mother May I?"

This morning we all woke up at our ridiculous crack-of-dawn hour to get to church, and were almost completely ready when I decided to look out the window for the first time. And what did I see? Ice. Lots, and lots of ice from all the snow melting, then freezing overnight. It was at that exact moment that my neighbor called and told me the highways were shut down, and the members of our ward coming from Killdeer would not be able to attend church. Why couldn't I have known about this before waking my kids up at an unholy hour?! So we spent the day watching Veggie Tales and the classic Annie (which is sooooo long!!) and attending Bennett's makeshift Primary in his room with his stuffed animals.

Bennett's little church was incredibly cute and complete with opening prayer, Singing Time lead by me, a sacrament of marshmallows (which we ate liberally) and talks by Patton and himself. Bennett actually gave a great talk about Jesus being tired and letting the little children come to Him anyway. It really made me think about the way I act with my own little children when I am tired, which has been often lately. (Kennedy is driving me up a wall!) Sleep is all-important around here, and when there isn't enough of it tempers tend to get shorter and voices tend to get louder. Usually when I hear the story of Jesus not turning the little children away I think about how He loved the children and how He loves me. But today I realized that I need to relate that story to my own life in a different way. How, even when I am tired (or busy, or impatient) I too, need to "suffer the little children" and treat them the way our Savior would--with love and kindness and patience. Most of the best lessons in life come when you least expect it...like from a five-year-old using his hamper as a pulpit.

So there's our week in a nutshell. Matt is using his laptop right now to begin our tax-paying process (oh joy) so I will have to upload pictures later. Probably tomorrow. So until then, have a great week!

And maybe go learn how to play tennis.

 Bennett choking down the homemade macaroni and cheese I made. To his credit, he ate his five bites.

 So close to crawling!! I have such mixed emotions about this...

 Playing tennis...or should I say, eating apple slices and laying on the court...

 Tennis is soooo fun!!

 The cheer leading section

 Can we go home now?

 Still got it!

Finally! Something entertaining to do!

 Patton's turn

 Church with the stuffed animals. 

 Helping Patton give his talk on Joseph Smith. I love these stinkers

1 comment:

Kylie said...

I wish I didn't live super far away from you - I'd play tennis with you! :)