Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Battling The Bugs

This week Matt and I have been excited to welcome a whole slew of new neighbors onto our little empty street. There are about three houses going up to the left of us, and two more to the right. I am happy we will finally have neighbors for real!

However, thanks to all the digging going on around us combined with the excessive heat of dear old Texas (not a day under 101 in the last two weeks straight), the ants and spiders have sought refuge in our home and I have officially declared war on anything with six or more legs.

I started out just smashing, but we quickly realized we were incredibly outnumbered and advanced to poison, traps, and sprays. I think we are starting to force a retreat, and I cannot tell you how happy I am! One plus though is that our house has never been cleaner, since I am not allowing anything on the floors or counters...at least for awhile. :)

While I was battling insects Matt was busy fighting off his own bug in the form of strep throat. He was out for a couple of days, but we quarantined him pretty well in the guest bedroom and got him some Penicillin and now all is well. He is back at work where, believe it or not, he is actually WORKING for the first time in over a year! It is weird that he leaves in the morning and then doesn't come back until 5:00pm, instead of any time he wants like we are used to.

Even with being sick, Matt got a lot done this week (of course). A friend gave us a TV they didn't want anymore, and Matt decided it would be perfect for our bedroom. Little did I know, this TV was like, three times bigger than our main TV in the living room. Honestly, I hate it, but Matt really wanted it and he promised he would do his best to make it pretty for me. Anyway, this is a stand he built to put the monster TV on, and I have to admit, it does make it a little better...but only a little.
My Vanna White pose with the giant monster TV from you-know-where, and Matt's beautiful stand.

Also, this week while I was running errands I looked down and realized I was missing a diamond from my wedding ring! We called the jeweler in Rexburg and told them what happened, and they said to just send my ring in the mail and they would fix it and send it back in a week or two. However, I felt naked without something on my finger so we picked up some eight-dollar bling at our local Wal Mart. It's kind of fun to have a big old ring, but I miss my real one.

Bennett had a fun week, too. We did A LOT of swimming this week with all the heat, and he is getting pretty good at it.

These are Bennett's "Bedroom Eyes" in his cute little swimming suit we finally pulled down from the attic. What a stud!



I don't know if this is mean or not, but we also "encouraged" him to go all the way under the water, and he doesn't seem to mind it too much. I think we might have a little swimmer on our hands in a few months...that is, if he doesn't need therapy because of his mean parents.

After all that swimming we are a little tuckered out.

Besides this, we also went to a work party for Matt's unit, several baseball games, dinners at friend's houses, lots of scouting and achievement day activities, and a ward party. Busy, busy, busy!



And last but not least, Bennett has started making all sorts of noises and facial expressions lately. It is so funny to have conversations with him and watch him learn new things each day.

1 comment:

Chantell Hammond said...

Haley, that is my recurring nightmare, to lose a diamond out of my ring. When I was pregnant with Lucy, my main diamond started wiggling, and I paniced! But it didn't fall out and I took it in, and we are good. But I honestly have nightmares about that, just had one on Friday night. So funny!