Monday, August 22, 2011

Something's Gotta Give

I just had to kick a ginormous pile of clean laundry out of the way so I could make it to my computer. Slacking on the mom job? I think yes. But it can wait, because I am going to update this blog if it kills me. And it just might, because after the long day I've had I am seriously compromising my health by staying awake any longer to do this. Be grateful.

So, what happened this week? Nothing. My family all left a few weeks ago, and when they did it got very quiet and very boring. Add to that the fact that Matt is due home any day, and you have a recipe for, what I have dubbed, "Waiting Fever." The entire time Matt has been gone I have just sort of put my head down and worked through whatever came my way one day at a time. But all of a sudden I raised my eye line and could see the actual finish line, and I can't even begin to tell you what that did to me. To see the finish line, but to still be so far from it, was torture. And the more I thought about it, the worse it got. And the crankier I got.

So to cure myself of this "Waiting Fever" I decided to do something--anything--that would take my mind off of the killing anticipation. So I read. I got the first book to the Hunger Games series on a Thursday afternoon, and by Friday night I had finished it. Saturday and Sunday I rested. Then Monday I got the second book, and on Wednesday night I finished the third. It felt so good to read again! Especially since I haven't really read like that since high school.

However, something's gotta give when the only adult in a household decides to engulf herself in literature. Bennett spent long hours in front of the TV with a bowl of grapes or cheetos or whatever I could find in our pantry since I never went grocery shopping. And the house fell down around our ears with the laundry, dishes and toys taking over every available space.

And I read.

By the time Thursday morning rolled around and I had finally put down the last book, I looked up to discover a house in ruins and a son who had consumed more Mickey Mouse Clubhouse than is probably medically safe. So the rest of the week was spent cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, and trying to wean Bennett off the TV like a drug addict from morphine. Poor boy, he was so happy with Mickey.

But the good news is, we are all back to normal now. the "Waiting Fever" has broken, my house is clean...er than it was, and Bennett is back to his two shows a day limit. We even eat meals at the table again like real human beings. We are doing great...except for the giant pile of laundry that needs to be folded.

Oh, and this Saturday Bennett and I joined the mob of shoppers for tax-free weekend, where we learned that a "Code Yellow" at Kohl's means a very cute two-year-old little boy has wandered off during one of the most hectic shopping days of the year. Ugh. On a good note, I got some really cute stuff.

So there you have it. An update. And here's a picture to go with it.

This is actually from when we were packing to go to Oklahoma a few weeks ago, but I needed to document Bennett's potty training outfit. If this were socially acceptable to wear, I swear this kid would be potty trained already. Slowly, slowly...

5 comments:

Cambria said...

Haley! I've had those moments where mentally I just need some "junk food." I finished those three Hunger Game books in three days. . .mostly between 10pm and 2am. But it IS so refreshing to just sort of mentally get away from it all, and then you put everything back together ;-) I hope Matt gets there soon! And that you both come and see us sometime between Texas and Idaho!

Matthew Hargrave said...

I love it! The picture is the best...he takes after his Daddy! If that was a socially accepted outfit we would be twins...its amazing what genetics brings out!!!!

Heather Jones said...

Thats awesome! I love finding a good book that does that to you. My house went through a similar problem this week, but I cant figure out how or why.......and the waiting game is almost over! I cant wait for you! yay! I miss you so much!

Anonymous said...

You make me laugh!

Roeckers said...

Bennett and Mikey would get along well. Accept your child wears clothes. Mikey would get along just fine on a nudist colony! She is fine as long as she is naked. Put clothes on her and she is OK in public but the moment and I mean the very moment you walk in the house she does her thing in her clothes takes them off and runs around naked again.
We all need to escape reality from time to time. Glad you found something to occupy a few days of your waiting time. Hopefully it won't be long now.