Saturday, May 16, 2009

Rabbit Fest!!

This last week was very eventful! We OFFICIALLY moved into our home! I organized the last closet, and cleaned everything...literally. It took forever, but it was worth it. We also had some friends over for dinner on Thursday night, and we planted an orange tree in our backyard Friday. The best part of the week though, was the weekend.

The third weekend in May is Copperas Cove's Rabbit Fest, a small fair that hearkens back to the days when the locals would arm themselves with clubs to round up those pesky bunnies in one fantasticly violent showdown. However, thanks to modern inventions (and PETA) Rabbit Fest is now a family-friendly carnival, complete with rides, food, games, and a "Bunny Parade." I really don't know why, but I have been looking forward to this day like no tomorrow, and I was not disappointed! And, to make matters even better, Bekah and Nathan (Matt's sister and brother-in-law) came up for the weekend and got to go with us!

The day actually started out very rainy and stormy, and we were all very sad. We made the best of it by renting "Taken", which, can I just tell you, has convinced me that Bennett will never leave the house by himself until he moves next door at the age of 37. It was terrifying. Then we made some delicious oatmeal cookies and talked till the rain stopped.

We finally made it out to Rabbit Fest around 4:00 in the afternoon and it was GREAT!!! Hardly anybody was there at first because of the rain, so we never stood in one line. And these rides were pretty good sized, too! We went on ride after ride until Matt and Nathan got sick and I got such an adrenaline rush I felt like I could run a hundred miles. Bekah spent most of the time with Bennett (Thank you Bekah!) but she did go on the Tilt-A-Whorl after much prodding. All in all it was a really fun day...and we are all glad it didn't involve any clubs. :)


Bennett is an excellent helper in the kitchen. Here, we are snapping green beans for dinner with the Lake family. We had delicious ribs (by Matt) steak (by Kevin Lake) and a plethora of side dishes (by me and Bennett).

Matt has always wanted an orange tree in our backyard, so Friday they went on sale and he finally got his dream. It's pretty little now, but we will water it with love and affection and it should give us oranges almost all year round. Texas whether is great.

Bennett and Bea

Uncle Nathan

It was pretty chilly outside when we went to Rabbit Fest, so Bennett got to wear is little camo jacket for the first time...

...and so did Bekah. :)

Matt and me on one of the carnival rides at Rabbit Fest. It was pretty intense, but we made it.

The dreaded Tilt-A-Whorl! There is a movie of Matt and Nathan making poor Bekah scream on this ride, but it took way too long to download, so you will just have to use your imagination.

Because of all the rain it was SOOO muddy, so some genius decided to spread hay all over the mud, thinking it would help. Instead, it created this thick, brick-like substance that stuck to everything, including the wheels of the stroller. Needless to say, we were practically dragging that thing by the end of the day. It was well worth it though!

Aunt Bekah was fabulous! She took such good care of Bennett AND me! We sure do love her! Thank you Bekah!


Me and Bennett-Boo. This isn't the best picture of him, but I had to redeem myself after posting that horrible picture of me last week. See? I do still do my hair...sometimes.

Bennett has learned to really enjoy taking baths lately. He coos and smiles at me the whole time, and it is one of the best parts of my day. This is him all wrapped up in his yellow duckie towel.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Haley!! I just found your blog and am loving reading about your life these days. I didn't even know you were having a baby! Congrats! He's adorable