Sunday, May 31, 2009

Planting A Garden - Step One...

This was pretty much just a regular old week for us here at the Hargrave home. We did manage to accomplish a few things however, some of which I will name below and narrate with pictures, because reading is not all it's cracked up to be for me lately...and I don't feel like writing either.

Some of these feelings of anti-literacy may stem from the fact that I am once again in school...kind of. I started my LAST Communications class online this week (hip, hip, hooray!) and will begin my LAST art class sometime next month. Both of these classes translate into Bachelor's Degree, AKA, diploma, AKA, finally, and it cannot come soon enough!

Oh text book, how I love you.

I also got to go to a doctor's appointment in San Antonio and visit Mary, Wayne, Bekah and Nathan while I was there, go visiting teaching, feed the missionaries dinner, and kill a record number of spiders in our bathroom. My life is riveting!

Matt had a great week, too. We spent a fun Memorial day together in Lowe's, where he got his dream weed eater. It was like Christmas for him, you should have seen his face. On Friday we went out to lunch with some of the people he works with, and he also got a new calling in our ward. Three callings, actually. He is Assistant Scout Master, Deacon's Quorum Adviser, and Young Men's Secretary. All of these callings are really the same thing, but he is SO excited to be Scout Master. He has already pulled out his old shirt and created the most complete handbook I have ever seen. He is going to be great, and the boys have no idea how lucky they are to have him.
Matt with the infamous scout shirt. (He didn't want me to take this picture because it wasn't ironed yet. Haha! Oh, I love this guy!)

Our Bennett-Boy has also accomplished quite a lot this week, including becoming an extremely proficient eater and sleeper! Mom is thrilled about both these developments. Bennett will eat seven minutes (exactly) on both sides now, and consistently sleeps from 10 p.m to 5 a.m! That's a good solid SEVEN HOURS of sleep, for those of you who are math deficient like me, and let me tell you, I am loving it! He is such a good little guy, and pretty dang cute to boot!


And now to the garden. We have been wanting to put this in for awhile now, but we finally did it this weekend! Here is how you too can do it.

STEP ONE...

Create a gate in your fence big enough for a large truck to fit through.

STEP TWO...
Fill the back of the large truck up with dirt and shovel one million scoops of dirt into the outline of your garden. CAUTION: May cause severe blisters and back pain.


STEP THREE...
Look Cute.

STEP FOUR...Shop for plants and vegetables at your local Wal Mart

STEP FIVE...

Take a nap.

STEP SIX...
Plant what you bought.

STEP SEVEN...

Eat some lunch.

STEP EIGHT...
Finish!

(There is supposed to be a stinkin' video here, but after trying to upload it three times I gave up. I will take a picture later and post it. Right now I am tired of looking at this screen. Sorry!)

BONUS...
Play some football in the park with Mom and Dad.

And on a more random note, I have developed some new theories concerning the breeding habits of the ducks at the park that may or may not involve a chicken and/or a vulture...

Oh one more thing! I was inspired by Chantell's blog about the greatness of buying stuff for cheap, so when we passed a little garage sale on our way to Wal Mart we decided to stop and see what we could find.

This is a foldable pack 'n play we got for ten bucks. I love it! I mean, I will be the first to admit, it isn't the cutest or the newest little thing, but it serves its purpose and we will keep it around for awhile.


We also found a couple of these magazine holder things, so we got five for two dollars. Now my office is completely organized! Maybe this is only exciting to me...?

Anyway, it was a really good week, even if not much happened.

5 comments:

Vanessa said...

I love being organized!! yipee! good for you! What a great idea, bury the garden and build it up instead of tearing out the grass! so glad bennett is enjoying that swing, you weren't kiddin' about him lovin' it! and good for you and school...i'm starting my last 3 classes soon...i'm hesitent to do it when it gets cold this fall/winter instead tho! :) we'll have to see. What a great week for you guys!

Alison and Troy said...

Haley you're so domestic! And I'm jelous of your garden, not having time to plant one myself. and of course, Bennet is sooo cute! Luv ya!

Nathan and Rebekah Mains said...

Haley,
You are so creative! Your blog entry made me laugh all the way through... steps 1- 6 or 7 of how to build a garden. Matt & Bennett are lucky to have you in their lives. You are one great Lady. :) I hope you are having a wonderful day- I can't wait to see you!

love you!
love bekah

The Hazard Family said...

I love reading your blog. It always makes me happy. Your garden is going to be a lot of fun, and Matt will be a great scoutmaster. Tickle Bennett a little for me . . . and show him a picture of me and mom. We are excited to see you guys at Griff and Ashland's wedding in a couple of weeks!
Love,
Dad

Madi said...

Haley! I didn't know you, Bennett and Matt were coming out for Griffin's wedding! I am very excited now!


And I LOVE reading your blog. You are so cute :)