Sunday, September 20, 2009

Called To Serve...Dinner

When we moved into our new home I made a goal to feed the missionaries here once a month, and it has been so fun! We had some way cool Elders in our ward and me and Matt spent a lot of time with them. We watched the BYU vs. Oklahoma football game together--a big deal here, so the mission president allowed it--went to BBQ's with them and for them, and just got pretty close overall...maybe a little too close.

This last week we had a surprise call from the Elders. Their dinner appointment had fallen through and they asked if they could come over for dinner and bring the other companionship in our area with them. This would be one of the last meals they would ever eat in this town because they were being switched for sister missionaries, so we said no problem and threw a couple more chicken fried steaks on the stove. (Yes, I make a mean chicken fried steak now.) They showed up and ate, but I had to leave halfway through the dinner to go to my Achievement Day Activity. I said good-bye to the Elders, because dinners are only supposed to last one hour and I thought I wouldn't be back in time to see them again. Boy, was I wrong.

When I got home from Achievement Days, the missionaries' car was still out front, and when I walked in, this is what I saw...

Matt had taught the elders several "very useful" self-defense moves, and they were trying them out on each other. You forget that just because they are servants of the Lord, doesn't mean they are no longer teenage boys. They also had a lot of fun playing in our tree house, and admiring Matt's guns and tools.

Needless to say, they were a little late getting home, but since it was their last night here nobody felt too bad about it. :)

No comments: