Thursday, September 3, 2009

Marriage Retreat

A few weeks ago, Matt came home and told me about a three-day, two-night marriage retreat in Austin that the Army was hosting for his unit. It sounded like a pretty good deal to us, but we didn't really know what to do with the cute little boy that is attached to me 24/7. We tried finding babysitters in the family for him, but at such short notice nobody could do it. In the end, we decided it was just too hard and maybe we would go to the next one.

Then we got a phone call saying that child care was provided during classes. We were off!

I am so happy that we went! It was at this amazing spa and resort, with everything paid for by the Army. Rooms right on the lake, all meals and snacks provided at a very nice restaurant, tons of swimming pools, etc. And the best part was, Matt got paid for going! I tell you what, the Army takes pretty good care of its families.

The classes were really good, too. They were taught by the Army Chaplains and were all very Christian-based. We learned about love, respect, communication, budgeting, and forgiveness. It was also really good for me to kind of see how people adjust back to life after the Iraq experience, since Matt will probably be deployed next August.

After classes, we could either pick Bennett up from child care in the next room over, or go on date nights with just the two of us. The first night Matt and I spent alone together, and the second we spent as a family. It was so good to relax, play, and reconnect with each other. Sometimes I forget how cool Matt is.

All in all, it was one of the best things I think we have ever done together. I know that we have not been parents very long, but even in that short time we sort of got used to being with Bennett and not taking the time to be with just each other...and that's not always the best thing for me, because as much as I love our Bennett-Boy, I really like my husband, too. :)


Our hotel was very nice. It even had professional door-openers. I didn't touch a doorknob the entire time we were there.

Our view of the lake from our room.

We all got our fair share of relaxation. I also need to mention that the child care they provided were so good to Bennett. The people always knew his name, what his schedule was, and what his favorite toys were. Actually, I think they might have done a better job entertaining him than I do!

The Lagoon of pools! This was probably where we spent most of our time. There were like, seven different pools, with a water slide, waterfalls, water parks, and yes, even a water bar. (I never knew you could get drunk and swim at the same time...sounds dangerous to me.)

Bennett, enjoying the pools during our family night.

Me going down the water slide.

Matt going down the water slide.

Just hanging out with my best friend.

3 comments:

Mark & Rachel said...

Sounds like a lot of fun Haley!
Mark just got put on alert today for deployment.

Roeckers said...

Looks like you had a blast!
We went on one of these, we had a blast. It is nice the army can provide such a luxury and take care of us from time to time.

Nathan and Rebekah Mains said...

Haley & Matt,
It looks like you guys had a wonderful time! I have to tell you that Bennett looks so cute in his little life jacket. I think that is his greatest shot in the pool so far! You guys have such a cute kid- I just love him! I love you all, have a wonderful day!

Love, Bekah