Thursday, November 11, 2010

Just a Thought!

So it was Veterans day yesterday and it was kind of funny. I have always thought of veterans as older gentlemen that have fought in wars a long time ago. Than it hit me, I'm a veteran! I tell you it was quite a shock. I know it brings comfort to my family knowing that I am in Northern Iraq were we have sporadic fighting but mainly it is Iraqi on Iraqi.

I would like to talk about my brothers in Afghanistan. Received word yesterday, on veterans day no less. There was a large scale attack that ended alot of American lives and a lot of us here knew alot of those that didn't make it. It tears at your heart. I believe, this one Soldier I talked to said what we were are all feeling.

He said to me, "You know Sir, the Army has spent 10's of thousands of dollars training me. Ranger school, sniper school, recon, advanced weaponry, combative s, etc... and here I am windexing a table for a brief for some General that's flying in to tell us how great we are and how we are vital to the fight. With all do respect Sir, that's bull @#$%."

I would have to say I agree with him. We in the armed services, whether we joined to get a way from home, get a paycheck, or for some of us I would like to believe we do it because its our privilege or duty to serve. Something deep down inside us tells us that there are things out there that are greater than us and we must protect that thing that we love. Now don't get me wrong this job is not for everyone, and I'm personally grateful its not. Because regardless, when you break it down this is not a nice job. The Army has a motto that we are all Soldiers first. What is a Soldiers job? To kill! Its really as simple as that. Its not a love of death but a love of freedom that I would like to believe drives us. Either it be a love of country, a love of rights that so many have already died for, or like my good friend Jeff Jensen likes to tell me, "A Patriot". It makes me sick to think of all those that of died in that forsaken country called Afghanistan. Those brave Soldiers who will never see there families again, never feel the warm sun caress there face. Probably there last memories on this earth aren't of loved ones around them expressing there love but of a hot, sweaty, stinky buddy to his left and right with the stench of some foreign dust in his nostrils. The feel of his weapon in his hand, scorching hot from the rounds he has all ready put through it and as the hot molten lead of the enemy tears through that delicate, fragile flesh who is to say what he is thinking all we know for sure is he is gone. Back to that God who gave him life.

So when I sit here on this veterans day please don't thank me for what I'm doing. Stand with me and thank those that are still in the fight. Who are still fighting for and dieing for a cause not of there own. Regardless of what your political views, regardless of who you voted for. Respect the American Soldier, honor him. Let him know before he dies that he can shield himself with the love from the people of his country. And that blanket of love that he can wrap around him on those cold foregin nights. Just a thought.

"What greater gift than that than a man lay down his life for a friend."

2 comments:

The Hazard Family said...

Beautiful thoughts, Matt. I'm so sorry about the men in Afghanistan. I hope you know that we appreciate the sacrifice of being gone from the ones you love for our country. We love you, and we do honor you, and all the men and women in the armed forces.

Vanessa said...

you gave me chills. our prayers are with them.