Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sarah, Josh, and The Loser Who Forgot The Camera

I have no idea why I can remember to take a million pictures of things that have no long-term significance, but when it comes to the really important things, like weddings that have been weeks and weeks in the making, I somehow completely forget to pack the camera. Why, Haley? Why? But although I may have forgotten to take pictures of the actual wedding, I will try to make up for it with witty story-telling and lots of pictures from the bridal shower. So here's my attempt at redemption...

Sarah is Matt's littlest sister, and was the last in a long line of Hargrave/Bell children to get married. However, she was one of the first to find her one-day husband. Because Sarah and Josh were lucky enough to meet each other early on in life, and smart enough to stay together. I think they met around 14 years old at a stake dance, and they knew at once they wanted to get to know each other better. They became good friends, and a few years later they started seeing more of each other and dating in groups. By the time I entered the picture, it was common knowledge that Sarah and Josh would get married, even though they both just graduated from high school and Josh still had a two-year mission to serve in Oregon. However, Sarah was a faithful missionary waiter (much unlike myself), and when Josh returned from Oregon they were engaged within the week. And moving to Utah two weeks later. And married a month and a half after that. Wow.

So, because Sarah was already living in Utah (with friends) in order to be close to Josh and find a job and apartment, we back in Texas had the exciting opportunity to pretty much plan their entire wedding single handedly. And when I say, "we" here, I really mean Bekah and Mary with a little bit of help from the rest of us. I have seriously never seen a greater amount of organized chaos surrounding two people than these two generated in the month leading up to Sarah's wedding. It was astounding how much they got done in so little time, and I will forever remain in awe of their extreme wedding-planning abilities.

I did help out a little, though. I made the wedding announcements and brought a stellar vegetable tray to the bridal shower. I know, I'm amazing.

Here's what their announcements looked like. It was really fun to do these, because usually my clients are not so naturally attractive and I have to do a lot of touching up. Sarah and Josh were perfect subjects. They will have beautiful children. One day. :)

Anyway, Sarah flew home a week before the wedding to get their marriage license and other business in order. And of course, for the bridal shower of the year. Bennett and I drove down, along with about fifty other people, and we all ate delicious food and played bridal games and watched Sarah open presents. It was great, and I brought my camera along to document the whole thing. Because I actually remembered to on this weekend.

The next couple of pictures are just so you can get a feel for the shower. This is the "Wedding Wishes" jar near the entrance of the kitchen. It was for guests to write their best wedding advice down for Sarah and Josh to read later. I actually didn't contribute to the advice jar, but if I had I would have said something like, "Always frost your cake using the proper utensils." (This was the beginning of the biggest argument Matt and I have ever had in our married lives. Sad, I know. But also funny...now...)

Sarah's wedding colors were chocolate brown and teal, but for the shower they threw in a burst of lime green to the decor. It was very "Sarah."

I have had dreams about these cupcakes. They were so good. And I think I proved that point by eating about twelve of them on this day. Also, the homemade cream puffs in the background didn't survive very long with me around. I love bridal showers.

Some of the spread. This picture was before a lot of the food was set up, but I didn't get one of the "finished product" so this will have to do. If you will direct your attention to the upper middle of the table, you will see my incredible vegetable tray. I'm sorry, but there is no room for humility when you are this good at arranging carrot sticks.

And here we have Matt's older sister Rachelle, demonstrating the proper way to eat spinach dip and cheese balls. Oh, I almost forgot. I made the cheese ball too. Is there no end to my immense talent? I think not.

The cutest bride-to-be in Texas :)

These are just some of the people who came to the shower. There were at least six more sitting where I couldn't get them in the frame, and then there were drop-in guests who were in and out during the entire thing. Quite a turnout, if you ask me.

Sarah and her mountain of presents. And this was just the shower! You should have seen all the great stuff these two got. I told Matt we need to get married again. I could really use some new pots and pans.

Sarah got many "fun" outfits to wear, but this was by far my favorite. Ooo-la-la!

Bennett was with me (of course) at the shower, but since he was a boy amidst the ladies he didn't really fit in the mix. Luckily, he spent most of the shower napping, and once he woke up Aunt Rach took him to see what the men were doing.

And what were the men doing? Hanging out in the barn, staining chairs and benches. I have to say, sometimes I am pretty happy to be a girl eating cake instead of a man doing work. It's all about perspective though, I guess...

The next weekend, Bennett and I drove down to San Antonio again for the actual wedding. And I forgot the camera. But I will describe to you the beauty of the day, the peace of the temple, the happiness of the couple, the tiredness/sickness of the little boy, the greatness of the food, and the funness (is that a word?) of the reception. It was all wonderful, from beginning to end, and everybody was so happy. Especially Mary and Bekah, who got to see all their hard work pay off in a spectacular way. Sarah was beautiful, Josh was as excited as he could be, and everybody ate Texas BBQ and danced the night away. Awesome.

I do have to say, though, a wedding is a bittersweet thing when you are away from the person you love more than anything. I missed Matt more on this night than any other since he left, and I am ashamed to say that I wallowed just a bit in my own self-pitty. But once again, I was reminded how lucky I am to have such great family surrounding me and constantly there to help with Bennett and the loneliness of Matt being gone and the giving of hugs. Hugs are important things. So all in all, it was a fantastic night.

Bennett and I drove home the next day plum-tuckered-out from the fun of it all, but it was worth it, every minute. So, long story short...

CONGRATULATIONS, SARAH AND JOSH!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So it has been a few weeks, but redemption has finally come for me in the form of Facebook. Sarah and Josh's photographer posted some of their pictures on that wonderful little network, and I was able to pirate them onto my blog. Thank you, Professional Photographer Lady!

Sarah and Josh

Sarah's boots (super cute)

The San Antonio temple

Coming out of the temple

The "Hargrave Girls" and the "Weirich Girls"
I would just like to mention here, that my dress was super cute. We can all thank Sarah for the colors, my friend Joelle for the brown dress, Hobby Lobby for the blue trim material, Jace's mom Kim for the sewing of it all, and me for the idea. The price of beauty/modesty/staying on a budget...

The entire Hargrave family. Well, just one person was missing, but he was there in spirit :)

Eating really, really good BBQ.

Doing the Wedding March. It took about thirty minutes to complete this single dance. I guess that's just what happens when you combine two very large families.

Cutting the "cake."

Dancing the night away.

Saying goodbye.
(Notice the extremely heavy child draped over my shoulder in the background. It was waaaaaaayyyyy past this kid's bedtime.)

2 comments:

The Hazard Family said...

I don't think you're a loser, Haley. When you are the soul packer for yourself and others it's hard to remember everything. One time when you were all little we took a trip and I forgot my underwear! Dad couldn't believe I could forget something so important (and honestly,neither could I), but hey, all 5 kids had everything they needed so at least I'd done something right!

The Hazard Family said...

Sounds like a fun wedding. I'm glad you could go, and I'm sure there were plenty of pictures taken at the wedding. I love your blog and reading about you and Bennett. Can't wait to see you in less than a month. Give Bennett a hug from grandpa!