Sunday, November 21, 2010

Order Up!

So to make things feel a little like home this Sunday some of our guys ordered a bunch of T-Bone steaks, pork, baby back ribs, and of course chicken halves. Just for a moment you can close your eyes and image your somewhere else besides here, in Iraq, in the desert, away from family. But the food was delicious. I'll be your waiter for this blog so enjoy the meal.



Here is our personal BBQ pit. We do have some great cooks here. I did get my hands in it. You know me and BBQ I cant stay away. I think we ended cooking something like 100 T-bones, 10 racks of ribs and 50 whole chickens.



Here is a really tasty shot. The head chef, SFC Fillmore made his own personal sauce. We had to improvise with a baster. A shop towel tied to a metal rod makes a great baster. The next one will be even better.



Here is one of my neighbors, Doc Manson. We were reorganizing his space for a more efficient feel. HGTV eat your heart out.



Here is my other neighbor, SGM Balcer. I got him convinced that Scentsy are the greatest thing ever. It helps get the stink out of the air. And we have alot of stink!


So here is a funny little storyboard for ya. I thought it was funny.


So this is what most Officer's are expected to do. Stand around, bark orders and wait for the job to get done.



I never got that memo. So here is the story. I received two portable offices. I was supposed to have them unloaded and hooked up by 1300. Well I go to check on things around 0930 and find out everybody has taken the morning off. Now this upsets me slightly so given everything else that has gone on around here I took care of it myself. I drove the trucks to the off load site, got the crane in place and started to work.



So here we are waiting for a present from above, why wont it rain?



Oh! Even better, crane hooks! Did I ever tell you I love cranes! I mean my Dad used to own one! And I got caught on it more than once. Being a Dad now, if my, in the far future 12 yr old fired up a crane and started swinging it around I might be a little worried.



Yeah baby, eat your heart out. Never thought I would be operating a crane while armed.
(OSHA would not approve)



Just doing what I do. Notice that there is no one around. Like I said never got that memo that Officers aren't supposed to work. The Chief Warrant in charge of the motor pool even gave me a key to the welding shop! I like making connections.



The crane operator was not the best. I mean the ground guide was fantastic but hey, do what you got to do.



This one is for Haley!!

(I just love that desert color, brings the color out in my eyes)


Another job well done.


Now there is a lot of heartache involved with these containers. Now let me start from the beginning. I ordered a bunch of these BOH containers when I was the C CO XO with the BSB. When I transferred to 2-7 CAV I left all that behind. Well someone got the good idea to send these out to the patrol bases (me) they work great for 1 medic in the middle of no where. On a Battalion level Aid Station they are horrible. Well trying to convince a bunch of Rangers/Infantry grunts that it is unacceptable according to Medical regulation's to use a box for a Level I Aid Station has been kinda difficult. But no worries we will get it fixed. It just seems at times that we create our own issues. I have been pretty on edge with everything and let me just tell you my dear sweet wife had been so supportive and has put with my short temperament that I have seen to garner these last few days. Anyway till next time.

1 comment:

The Hargrave Clan said...

I like you being in Iraq. I really think it makes you appreciate me more...and vice versa :)