Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Estrogen Bowl

Every year Matt and I throw a Superbowl party to help cheer on whatever team we feel like supporting at the moment (neither one of us are very into sports, but we really like to eat chips and yell at the TV). We usually invite over a few dozen friends to help us celebrate, and we all spend a rousing night trash-talking, making bets, and feeling guilty for doing it on the Sabbath.

This year, however, Matt is gone. And, because I live in a city where 98% of the population is military, pretty much all of my friends' husbands are gone, too. But did that stop us from throwing the best Superbowl party ever? No way, Jose.

Several women came over. They brought their children. We ate like queens. Successful party.

However, I have found that when you watch the Superbowl with a room full of women and children, the game sort of takes a back seat to much more interesting things. Like talking about pregnancy. Honestly, I think I saw about three minutes of the game, seven minutes of the half-time show (which Bennett seriously loved because it was his favorite group performing) and maybe half of the commercials. I did see the end though, because most of the kids there had earlier bedtimes than the game allowed for, so after everybody went home and Bennett went down for the night I actually sat and semi-focused for the last twenty minutes.

And I cheered on the inside when the Packers won. Not because I really like the Packers, but because I am awesome at predicting who is going to win the Superbowl and I have never been wrong.

Luckily, we have DVR so I recorded the whole thing and I plan on going back and watching it one day to see what actually happened...or to just watch the commercials again. The Advertising Major in me loves commercials. And next year we will do it all again...except maybe with a little more male influence.

The helper. Bennett took it upon himself to set the table for me before everybody came. He has the basic concept down, now we just need to work on his spacing.

The women. I believe we were discussing the difference between Jazzercise and Zumba when I took this picture...oh, and there was some football going on in the background.

The children. We put a Disney movie on in our room for the kids to watch. Mostly, though, they just liked jumping on the bed.

The Food. One corner of the food, actually. Everybody brought something and we all ate everything. It was delicious.

And this is just a little video about nothing. I took this because Bennett wanted to "see" the camera, but I had just erased everything off the memory card so there wasn't anything on there for him to watch. So I created this twenty-second beauty so Bennett could be satisfied. My plan was to just erase it after he had seen it and lost interest, but for some reason I fell in love with his deep little voice repeating everything I am saying, and I had to keep it. A long explanation for a short video.



Go Packers!

1 comment:

The Hazard Family said...

I'm so glad you not only didn't erase that video, but that you shared it too. You're right. His deep little voice is so cute. Looks like a fun party, Hay. You always did know how to have fun!