Sunday, February 13, 2011

Something Interesting

So I saw something interesting today. We were teaching a combat lifesaver class on the Iraqi compound that we call or neighbors and that's when I saw it. The electricity went out (of course, it always goes out). So we are teaching the Iraqi Soldiers in the dark and I hear the sweet sound of Soldiers marching while singing cadences. It doesn't matter that I didn't understand what they were saying it was the feeling you get when you can hear the discipline. I know that sounds a little weird to anyone that has not served, but those that have know what I'm talking about. It was great to watch the officers and the NCO's direct and lead. Awesome to see the Soldiers responding with such exactness. Then when I thought to myself, hey even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and again. I saw something else that surprised me. I saw a young, new doctor randomly go out to a Soldier that was walking by and he checked his first aid pouch. Again it may not seem like much but the thing is he didn't have to do that. He didn't have to make sure some random Soldier walking near his Aid Station had the correct equipment. It's the little things that count. Something my parents used to tell me and all my church leaders was its the little things that will keep you out heaven, most people do pretty good on the big stuff, but get tripped up on the little things. I have tried to apply that to my work, and to everything I do. I mean I will, myself randomly walk around the base and check Soldiers medical gear, making sure its current and not looking to worn, and replacing it when needed. So giving what I used to know of the Iraqi Army and its people it was amazing to see the pride, and attention to little details that was so inspiring. It made me feel like we made a difference. All those years, all that money, all that blood that was spent. To see a once oppressed people stand on there own it makes it all worth it. Regardless why we came to this country this Soldier believes that we did good. We did something for someone that they could not do for themselves.

3 comments:

The Hazard Family said...

Great experience. It's like seeing one student help another student just out of pure benevolence. Keep blogging, I love knowing what you are going through.

Greg

The Hazard Family said...

Thanks for sharing that with us, Matt. I also love to read your blogs and hear about your experiences and your thoughts. We love you!

Nancy

Katie Koivisto said...

Goose-bumps! Thanks Matt for your post! Your little perhe {family} is an inspiration to me! Keep up the good work and thank you SO much for the dedication you are giving to our amazing country!!!!