Sunday, May 29, 2011

Cowboy Up

On Thursday night Bennett and I were dusting the house (something that desperately needed to be done) when our friend Sarah called. She said that she was listening to the radio and had heard that it was Military appreciation night at the Killeen Rodeo. Translation: Free. Free parking, free dinner, free entrance. Sometimes being in the Army really does have its benefits. So Bennett and I threw aside our dusting (poor house) and headed to Killeen for the night.

The radio said that the dinner for military families would start at 5:00pm, so we made sure to get there exactly at that time. However, the dinner didn't actually start until 6:00pm, so we spent an hour waiting in line. It was a nice night though and Bennett had a fun time running around with all the other kids while we waited.

We finally did make it inside, at which point we were fed a delicious cowboy meal catered by Schoepf's, Matt's favorite BBQ joint here. Usually I don't really care for this kind of food, but for some reason I absolutely devoured everything on my plate, Bennett's plate, and the little boy's plate sitting next to us (he offered it to me). Living in Texas must be starting to rub off on me.

After our meal, we headed outside to see the cows and horses. Here's Bennett watching the 1st Cav Team gear up.

Inside the arena gates there were a ton of booths set up with lots of fun things to see and do. Mostly I just took this picture for Matt, so that he could see my cowboy boots, which I DO wear...when necessary.

The highlight of this night was when we passed a man selling pony rides. There was not even a hesitation on either mine or Bennett's parts. Unfortunately, the man said there was a weight limit, so Bennett had to have all the fun for us.


Needless to say, Bennett loved it. Afterwards he begged me to let him ride the cows, but I think we will hold off on that for a few more years.

This little face is my favorite.

Eventually we made it over to the bleachers to watch the actual rodeo. Bennett insisted he stand directly in front of the fence to see the horses better, and he never moved from this spot until I told him it was time to go home. If we could bring horses into sacrament meeting my life would be so much easier.

Watching the Cavalry perform. At one point these guys shot off a real cannon without warning and I almost jumped out of my skin. Bennett, on the other hand, never flinched. I can't decide if I am proud of this or slightly concerned...

We didn't stay at the rodeo very long once it started, but what we did see was very fun. We got home just in time to put Bennett in bed, finish cleaning the house, and welcome Griffin and Ashland who came for Memorial Day Weekend. But that is a different blog post. So until then.

Ya'll come back now, ya hear? Yee-haw!

5 comments:

The Hargrave Clan said...

Way cute babe but I think we can afford some pants for the boy...shorts and boots just aren't cool!

The Hazard Family said...

What fun! I thought horses WERE allowed in sacrament meeting in Texas. Not true??? And, I agree with Matt . . . I'm no cowboy, but I know that shorts and boots send a mixed message. I think I sensed that little pony he was riding snicker a little at the short pants boy. But, I love him!
Love, Dad (Grandpa)

The Hazard Family said...

Yee Haw! You're making a fine Texan of that boy, except of course, for the shorts and boots. It might fly in other places, but I'm surprised they didn't send you home when you walked through the entrance gate! I'm sure it's because Bennett is so cute he can pull ANYTHING off. What a fun post!

The Hargrave Clan said...

OK, all you anti shorts and boots people. When it is almost 100* outside it would have been child abuse to put Bennett in his little wranglers (which yes, he does own). So as dorky as the shorts were, let's all just settle down now...poor little boy...

Anonymous said...

Cutest cowboy ever! Bennett in those boots remind me so much of his daddy. Maimie and Pop are going to have to find him a cowboy hat that fits him...he's outgrown the other one. Loved the pony ride...yeehaw! love, maimie